16. A Flaming Ember

"Evangeline," Cassian grabbed my arm as I tried to walk to my room. His serious tone pulled Nesta from her book, she looked at us an equally serious expression on her face. 

"I'm going to bed Cass,"

"We need to talk about what the hell happened back there," His grip on my arm was like iron. 

"I could think of a billion other things that I'd like to do right now, including reading one of Nesta's erotic novels-" I threw a glance at the suspicious-looking cover on her book, "Which nobody wants to do," Nesta huffed, closing the book and walking from the room. 

"Evangeline," He said, looking down at me like I was in trouble. 

"Cassian," I spoke in the same tone, mocking him. 

"Stop deflecting," We both glared at each other for a moment. "Eve," He mumbled, practically begging me to talk to him. 

His soft tone irritated me, "Don't treat me like a fragile child," I eventually ripped my arm from his grip. "Why do you care about this anyway? You barely know me!" I crossed my arms, rolling my eyes, I clenched my jaw. "Azriel this is a private conversation," I barked at the shadows covering the walls, they flinched at my harsh tone, before eventually retracting from the room. Idiot.

"You were scared to death out there! You were shaking, I thought you were having a panic attack!" He threw his arms up for a moment, looking away, almost as if he was recounting the events. "That's why you were so adamant that our food was poisoned," He spoke slowly, "that's what you told Rhys, right? Not to eat the food,"

"Well done, did you notice the sky is also blue?" I mumbled sarcastically

"Did Balton once poison you, Evangeline?" He asked, his gaze returning to mine. 

I clenched my jaw. He did a lot more than that. "You shouldn't care about this, about me."

"You cared enough about us to tell us not to eat the food." Damn, he had me there, "I care enough about you to want to protect you. Like you did with us." 

My body was so tense I wondered if a vein would pop. I'm too tired, I needed to scrub the scent of orange off of me. "I'm tired Cassian." I barely spoke above a whisper. "Sleep well," I turned around,  not looking at the inner circle that was sat in the living room, their eyes pinned to the ground. 

Once I had begun the bath, I removed my clothing, crumpling the dress and throwing it in the corner, I want to burn it, I never want to see it again. Kitten

I shivered, running my hands through my hair and pulling at it slightly. I am alive. "I am alive," I mumbled, whispered, though the tears didn't fall, I didn't allow them. "Am I alive?" I whispered to the walls, wishing that the friendly shadows were still there, they comforted me when I didn't think anyone could. 

I then proceeded to sit in the tub, for hours, the water had gone cold, though I still sat there, I had scrubbed my entire body raw, especially my leg, the leg he had touched. My area no longer had a footprint on, though I could still feel the pressure, the silent promise of a beating, of a punishment. I had run away from him, his property had abandoned him. 

Swallowing, I rose from the bath, my leg was slightly bleeding from how much I had scrubbed at it, though the pain was a reminder that this entire thing wasn't a dream. 

I didn't know when it had gotten dark, but the stars were littered against the black canvas above. Quickly, I dressed, diving under the covers, but sleep didn't take me, I felt his hands everywhere- oranges. That stupid scent, that stupid colour- no- no the colour was not stupid, it reminded me of Azriel's eyes too much, and nothing about Azriel was stupid. Shivering, I longed for warmth, for protection. Closing my eyes, I had been alone for too long, I had been protecting myself, having my own back for long enough, as much as I hated to admit it, I needed protection and safety badly. I had to accept that wanting protection doesn't make me weak. There was only one thing that made me safe around here. One person. 

My legs were moving before I could even think about it, I stopped outside Azriel's room, placing my forehead against the door, I squeezed my eyes shut. I'll just stay here. I could smell his scent, that was all I needed to calm my shaking body down. 

After a few moments, I pressed my ear to the door. I couldn't hear a thing, it was silent, he must be sleeping. My body ignored my commands to leave as it clicked open the door, checking to see if he was in bed, I walked into the room, pressing my back against the closed door.

His room was warmer than mine, everything was dark, black, he was led in the middle of the bed, wearing no shirt, the sheets covered most of his chest, only his thick arms peaked out. Gulping, I stayed at the door as I gazed at his black hair, it was slightly curled, falling just above his eyebrows. Smiling softly, I slid down the door, curling into a ball. I was here, with Azriel. He wouldn't let anyone hurt me. He had protected me before and he will again. I hope.

"Are you going to continue to watch me sleep?" A deep voice grumbled, opening my eyes, I rose my head up to Azriel, he led in the same position that he was in before, before shifting slightly, turning towards me, he opened his eyes. 

A flaming ember. That's what colour his eyes were. A mix of copper and a burning ember. "I wasn't watching you sleep." I defended myself.

The sides of his mouth flickered up, "That's hard to believe, since you are in my room, watching me sleep,"

"Am not!" I crossed my arms, I was caught red-handed, and I looked creepy as hell. Getting up I turned to the door, "I'll let you sleep,"

"No,"

Confused, I turned around, closing the door again, "No?"

"Stay," Azriel sat up slightly, patting his bed, inviting me to sit. Pursing my lips, I walked over the padded carpet, sitting next to his bed, sitting on his bed seemed a little personal. 

"Are you gonna try and force me to tell you about today?" I asked, looking into the darkness, my back was against the bed, I closed my eyes for a moment, letting myself escape from my mind that I've trapped myself in. 

I could feel his eyes on me, before he shuffled, lying back down. "You will tell me when you want to. I will respect that," 

I nodded. "Why did you ask me to stay Azriel?" I asked, bringing my knees to my chest. 

"If you don't, I worry I may fly over to his court and kill him for laying a hand on you." He said with such confidence, such venom, I had barely seen Azriel show so much emotion. 

"He did not even do anything, I was overrea-"

Azriel interrupted me, his voice rising a little, his commanding tone bounced off the walls "He touched you under the table Evangeline," The way he says my name sends shivers up my spine. "Why did you come here?" He asked. 

I gulped. "You've protected me before. I feel-" I stopped myself, not wanting him to know how safe his presence made me. 

Azriel let out a breath. "Rhysand had to pull Amren away from Balton," He said his name with such anger, "She was demanding him to tell her what he did to you."

A small smile graced my face. "She's a good friend."

"She is loyal," Azriel added. I nodded, suddenly finding the urge to grab his hand, I needed to feel skin on skin contact, though I restrained myself. 

"How's the love triangle?" I asked, reminding myself that he was in love with 2 others. Loosening up a little, I smirked, returning back to my old, sarcastic self for a moment, "Have any of them wore lace to impress you yet? I remember that was your turn on, right?" 

Azriel chuckled, I barely heard the words that flew from his mouth, they created a whirlpool in my stomach."There's my Evangeline,"

Top 3 book boys?
Mine are:
Daddy Az ;)
Hawke (From Blood and Ash)
Aaron Warner (Shatter Me)