An Unusual Request

When the cherry blossoms fall to the ground...
And the scent of perfume fills the air...
The air sparkles with a new life and light...
As the gates of Whole Cake Academy open for the day...

This is a story about a girl.

A girl who grew up with a single mother, a loving uncle, and all the books she could read in the world.

This girl had a life unlike any others as she lived in a town where the brainy were praised and the scholars were on the constant hunt for knowledge.

And, just like with all truth seekers, her entire world would come crashing down in front of her after someone made a discovery that would shake the entire world to its core.

Her name is Nico Robin, the Devil Child of Ohara, the smartest girl in Whole Cake Academy, and one of the many admirers of one Monkey D. Luffy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I was younger, my mother and I ran a bookstore. It was a small hole in the wall place that had books stacking up to the ceiling. I treasured that place as if it were a second home to me.

We lived in the Ohara District of town, where the smartest people would gather with one another and compare notes and other discoveries with each other. A large tree stood in the middle of the town where we would have meetings under the branches. A convention center used to stand not to far from the tree, hosting annual book fairs and science conferences. A coffee shop ran by one of my mother's closest friends always gave me a free hot chocolate for being a good girl and helping around the shop. The library was the sanctuary for me after school as I ran away from the bullies from the next town over. My uncle, the large hulking man he was, lived with us to help pay the bills that my late father left behind when he divorced mother. We lived in a one-story house with one and a half bathrooms, two rooms, a small kitchen, and barely enough space to call a living room.

But we were happy nonetheless.

I wanted to become an archeologist when I was older, so I frequently studied with college prep exams at age eight. The other children would tease me for being stuck up and too smart for my own good. My mother told me ignore them, saying that they were jealous of my ability to retain knowledge at rapid paces and recall them just as fast. Uncle Saul would often chuckle as I stuck my tongue out at the neighborhood boys who would come by to tease me.

Life was good, just me, mother, and Uncle Saul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Robin, would you be able to help me study for my history test?"

Robin, who was currently doing some free reading during her study hall, looked up to see the pleading face of Luffy. The young guy had his history book under his arms and giving her puppy dog eyes. Had it been any younger student or any other girl, she would've said no. However, since he had the unfair advantage of being the only guy in school, she would spare him this one time. Ms. Toki, a kindhearted lady from Wano County, was known for making her history test quite difficult, almost as if she had been there for some events. Robin sympathized with anyone who got her for history.

"You sure you want me to tutor you? I can be quite vicious with my methods." Robin teased, giving him a small smirk. "My notes are full of detail and hard to decipher."

Luffy shrugged. "I don't care, I just want to pass my test! If Gramps sees me failing one class, I will be forced to go to the Police Academy. I like it here, so I want to pass." He sat down next to her, a face full of determination. "Just give me a chance and I will be out of your hair. The test is next week, maybe we can get together for lunch or something?"