The Mystery Letter

Pudding yawned as she woke up at her usual time of 4:30 in the morning.

This was the start of her day, the first person up in the Charlotte family household.

Rolling out of bed, she put on a nice pink dress with a ruffled collar. Picking up her hairbrush, she took the tangles out of her long brown hair. Finally, she took her apron off the foot of her bed. She looked at the other side of the room to see the snoring form of Flampé. The little brat was always the last one up in the morning, almost late for school.

This is why Pudding woke up earlier than everyone to prep for the day.

Then again, I've always been a morning person.

Down the stairs, into the kitchen, and right to her cooking station. She had to make breakfast for the house, lunches for everyone that goes to school, place out pre-made lunches for the workers, and make sure the young ones got to school on time. It was a taxing task, but someone had to do it.

"Good morning Pudding, I woke up to give you a hand!" The jovial voice of Compote rung out as she poked her head into the kitchen. "You always wake up so early to prepare for everything, so I thought you would like some company."

"Oh!" Pudding nearly dropped the bowl of eggs she was whisking. "Good morning to you Compote. I'm not used to seeing people in the morning. If you could, maybe you can help make some lunches for the younger siblings and the ones in school."

Compote nodded, happy to help her youngest sibling. "My, I remember when we got some of those young ones. In fact, I remember when you were introduced to the house. So many people living here, everyone from broken houses, abandoned at the doorstep, even from the previous orphanage where the original group of us came from."

Pudding watched as the elder made rapid fire salads, sandwiches, and fruits. "Why do you take in all these people? Some have long necks, some have long legs, the dectuplets all look the same, and some of them have weird disabilities."

Compote gave her a small smile. "I remember something that Mother Caramel used to say about a place where everyone can be welcomed. Linlin wanted to take that philosophy to heart. While some found her dream ridiculous, some of us found it quite charming." Taking out all the lunchboxes, she started putting the lunches together. "Then the fire burned the house down and took the life of dear Mother Caramel. Sadden by our mother figure gone, Linlin took me, Perospero, Katakuri, Oven, and Daikufu out of the house and we found this place. Then, with the help from some friends, we found lost children and took them in. Providing them with shelter and food, we have been doing this for years. I've raised so many of you."

Pudding smiled, making a rather large cake for Linlin. "Wow, I never knew all that. Makes me smile when I think about of Chiffon, Lola, and Praline are doing in their own families. They should be sending some letters soon."

Alarms started ringing from nearby rooms, jolting the two from their conversation. "Seems like the family is starting to wake up!" Pudding gave Compote a look. "Let's get the table set!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey! Stop hogging the jam!"

"Pass me the butter. NO I WANT THE BUTTER!"

"How dare you take the last piece of bacon!"

"Anana is prodding me with her knife! Make her stop!"

"Wiwiwi, never a boring morning in this house."

Scraps of food went flying everywhere as the young ones and some even splattered on the walls. The tablecloth was ruined with stains, crumbs, and knife holes from Anana. Pudding sat at the other end of the large table, ducking her head to avoid another teacup thrown in her direction. Everyone was eating like nobody paid bills, had jobs, or even went grocery shopping.