Halloween Hijinks: Setting Up Drama

When hinges creak in doorless chambers,

And strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls.

Whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still -

That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh my goodness, thank you for helping my friend out!

"It's no problem! She just got overwhelmed that's all."

Lilith groaned to herself, feeling her eyes slowly open. She hadn't the foggiest idea what just happened, but she felt herself get angry at the possibility that a male had something to do with it. Her eyes blurred, opening to reveal the images of Mela and another guy who was rubbing the back of his neck. They were inside the nurse's office where Lilith was lying on a bed with bandages wrapped around her head. The young man was talking with her friend with the biggest grin on his face.

It sickened her.

"Um...can someone please tell me why I'm in here? Where is my backpack? And why is he here?" Lilith asked, glaring right at the grinning boy's face.

"Lily!" Mela leaned over and gave her a large hug. "I was so worried when you suddenly passed out like that. Everyone was crowding over your body, some guys tried perving out on you. Then this guy, Luffy here, he and his friend managed to bring you and patch you up! His other friend goes to our school and he's a doctor! Luffy stayed here with me to wait until you woke up!"

Lilith batted a hand at her mouth, shutting her chatty friend. "I think I got the point." Her eyes turned to Luffy, who was still making that stupid face. "So what? You want a reward or something?"

"No, just wondering if you are alright to get up and leave. Didn't want to leave your side until you woke up and the swelling went down. Are you feeling better?"

"I'm fine now. Kindly remove yourself away from me and let me on my way."

Mela pouted as her friend got up from the bed and promptly snatched her backpack from the table. How could she let the opportunity of a lifetime pass her by? This guy was super cute and he even helped her out! She had to do something or else her friend would become nothing more than an old maid.

"Say Luffy, are you going to be at the Halloween party tonight? Is that why you were setting things up?"

Luffy nodded. "Uh-huh! Since I help out here every day, I thought this would be a perfect way to meet new people. I go to an all-girls school and I practically use this place to hang out with my guy friends."

"Well...Lily here needs someone to go with her to the party. Perhaps you can escort her?"

Lilith's head whipped around so fast that she nearly gave herself some whiplash. This is what aggravated her about being friends with Mela. Always pushing her agenda upon her about love and relationships! Couldn't she just be happier alone in her studies and prospects? She didn't have time for some stupid dance or a stupid date?

Luffy saw her face scrunch up to an unusual degree and sighed. "I don't think your friend would like that very much. She seems to be the kind to avoid events like this."

Yes! Finally, someone who understood that she didn't need human social activities! All she wanted was to be alone with her books, laptop, and eccentric family of super-geniuses.

Mela bit her lip and tried to keep her emotions in check. "Can I be honest with you? She doesn't have many friends and tends to keep to herself a lot. I am the only one who pushes her out of her comfort zone alongside her father. I just want her to have a fun night and it doesn't need to be a date. Please Luffy?"