Religion Of Loneliness

Tonight is cold, but this is nothing. It's the same as always. The sky filled with greyish clouds which blocked the view of the starry night sky. I walk down the pavement towards my home. As it's getting late, drunkards are straying at some streets that I needed to took a longer route to avoid them. I used today's wage to buy cocoa and paying water bills. If I were to ride a carriage, I'll go broke in an instant.

The streets are not only have a few drunkards, but also two Scotland Yard officers on a patrol. "Mori? Coming home late from work again? *Sigh* You should take it easy sometime." Tim, my former classmate is on a night patrol shift.

"You're nice Tim. No need to worry, I got this." I coax him to stop worrying.

"Don't you get it, Mori? You live alone for years. You may say that you used to it but this isn't good for your health. Look at yourself, you got dark eyelines from lack of sleep!"

"...Oh, really?" Eyelines? Just like... L from Death Note?

"Just how ignorant can you be- ugh! Enough talk! Go home and sleep! Don't even think about working tomorrow!"

"Haaaaa?! Tim are you finally losing your mind?!"

"Who's fault do you think it is?!"

"Alright Tim, calm down. I won't work tomorrow. It's a promise." He's worried for me? Emotions sure are weird.

"You've better be. I've just finished patrolling Baker Street. There's no drunkard or whatsoever but please arrive there fast. If you want to collapse then do it inside your home. I don't want to hear you complain that you got robbed while collapsing on the street. You got that?"

"Clear as day. Bye Tim. Happy patrolling!" Tim left while grumbling under his breath. Then I remember a piece of information he once told me. "Oh, Tim hates night shifts." But he can't do anything because it's a job assigned to him by his superior.

The path is clear as Tim said. No one is on the street except for me. I'm all alone by myself.

"Kugh!" Excruciating pain ran through my head. I gripped my dyed hair where the pain is. The pain increases I felt like my head was about to split into two. Blurry vision of my previous self crying in the middle of the road overtook my sight. My chest pained and it became harder to breath. This again... this uncomfortable thing that drowns me. I rummaged through my pockets and found a newly bought kitchen knife. My iris shrunk as I stared at the knife I'm holding. It reminds me of-

The image of my past self is now holding the same knife. She snickered as she bring the knife closer to her neck. 'It's painful! Emotions are painful! I can't deal with it! Can't you see? A killer yearns for affection? Who would want to be by my side?! I'm forever destined to be alone! How dare they die before me! Leaving me behind! An now, I don't even get to meet them in after life! If I...' She drew the knife closer to her neck. 'If I kill myself again...'

"Maybe I can meet them once more." I unconsciously corresponded. From the reflection of the shop's glass, I saw my own hands griping onto the knife. The tip is dangerously close to my neck. *Sighs* I guess no chocolates tonight huh. I closed my eyes and smiled just like my first time suicide.

*Halt!* H-huh? The knife- I don't feel the knife going through my neck? I open my eyes to check If I something odd happened to my limbs just in case. Unexpectedly, standing before me is Albert James Moriarty grabbing the knife in my grip tightly. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Why are you here of all times-"

"I demand an answer." His tone is firm. His oh-so-friendly act is nowhere to be seen.

"I have no answer for you."

"Why is that?"

"Because I wasn't thinking."

"..." Albert's face is blank.

"Now excuse me." I pulled my hands away, putting the knife into the small grocery bag. Just few steps more to home. However, fatigue overtook me. I swayed and fell onto the pavement. The loud ringing inside my head continues until I finally fell unconscious.

...

Albert is at lost of words. The brat he always loathed long ago wasn't the same for sure. From what he was informed by Fred, Mori took a lot of jobs. He was never fired, but still, it's odd to switch jobs when someone found a job that they're good at. 

He was just delivering letter to Miss Adler by intentionally bumping onto her this late. He didn't expect to see Mori. What's worst, he was about to commit suicide. His smile when the tip of the knife on his neck stirs up a disturbed atmosphere. This pushes him to stop Mori from suicide. Even Albert himself was surprised that he saved him.

Albert spot a something black on the tip of Mori's gloves. "What is this? Paint?" To get confirmation, Albert took of Mori's hand glove. His discovery  sends shivers down to his spine.

These are not paint stains! It's his fingernails! They were all black! It's not polished either! What's wrong with him?!

"Is there something wrong-" Fred the informant came to check on him because they were behind the schedule.

"Fred, tell me. What is the diagnosis for black fingernails."

"...gravely poisoned for a long time." Fred stared at the man lying on the street. His nails were all black. Albert gripped Mori's hand tightly, furious that he never caught a wind about Mori's condition until he checked it himself today. If that's the case, then he would guess that even the great detective Sherlock never knew about it. Mori just hides things so well that it only revealed when it  was too late.

He didn't have ties with me anymore. I haven't heard him calling me 'brother' for the longest time. Just as I once wished for.

However, he never looked back at me, even if our social status now differs. He doesn't even care. He never tried to seek my help- no. He never asked for anyone's help. The first time I ever saw him that happy... is when he was about to die right before my eyes. I was never this scared in my entire life.

Just when I thought I saved him, he was already poisoned?! This is the worst!