Faint Sense

Author's Woes

Author: This chapter may not seem like what I promised, but when you think about it, isn't it troublesome for readers to find new chapters between chapters that they already read? So I come up with a certain plot that allows flashbacks. Took me almost a month to think of it. Some changes will occur if I find it suitable, for example, the missing chapter of the Whitechapel. I'm canceling that to proceed with the story. I just got no idea how to make that scene unique. I hope you liked this chapter I wrote. Happy reading! OwO

...

*NEIGH!*

I instantly woke up from doze. The first thing I did was to check my surroundings. I'm in a carriage with... uh... who was this person again? Oh, that's Mitsuo. I will have to get used to his new face if not I might mistake him for someone else.

Wait... Why am I dozing off in the first place? I'm sure I had slept more than enough. This must be... "Mitsuo-nii, you... put something in the carriage?" I glare daggers at him.

"You caught me," Bennett said while grinning. He took out a small semi-transparent bag that resembles an omamori, containing some sort of powder. "It's not poison though? There's this flower called Lavender. Anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, and sedating to the nervous system, lavender shares molecules that relax the body and ease the mind from overactive thinking, which in simpler terms, lulls you to sleep." Bennett explains using some medical terms from the modern world.

"Stop advertising and get to the point." I cut his chatter.

"Ahem! Another matter about you is you tend to have insomnia when you work overtime." His sharp eyes glance are either mischievous or amused. "You won't be doing those random jobs anymore. Of all jobs, I would only allow your bakery business and as my lab assistant."

I contemplate his demand. That doesn't sound half-bad. Sensei never said that I have to hide my talent for a fulfilling life. Plus, as his lab assistant, if the results are extraordinary I can push all the credits and attention to Bennett. The job isn't a nasty one so I'm more or less fulfilling sensei's wish. Though I have broken my promise many times, it is only because my life is at stake. I'm still trying my best.

"I accept, both the job and the Lavender." Bennett beamed, some halo lights shine brightly behind him, too brightly. If not for my grasp on reality I might mistake him for a flash bomb. "How did you even get a hold of it in the middle of this war-like era?" I asked while inspecting the powder packed similar to a teabag at the same time turning my head away from the blinding halo.

"I have a few connections here and there. I need materials for my experiments after all." Bennett's smile is a proud type of sorts.

I didn't even compliment him, how come he's so happy? Ugh... annoying. This bland emptiness I'm feeling. "Mitsuo-nii, how it's like to be happy?" I let out a dumb question that has been bothering me since my past life.

"Hmm? My little Miu is curious?~" He cooed.

"Don't call me that." I retort. As usual, he isn't threatened.

"Hmm... how should I explain this..." Bennett thinks deeply. "Happiness comes by when you do or receive any action that you appreciate. I wanted to ask you, what is your opinion on games?"

"It was interesting." I think my answer is straightforward enough.

"Interesting enough to hook you up for hours?" Is that a compliment or scorn? Without waiting for my reply to his remark, he continues, "You may be unaware, but you were having fun. Having fun is also part of being happy."