CHAPTER 4: a not so challenging placement examination

"Good morning

"Good morning. You must be Professor Aarden."

The moment Koro's shoes hit the hard concrete of the sidewalk, his brother in toe, they were greeted by a boy of strawberry blond hair and noticeable purple eyes. A warm and polite smile adorned the teen's features as he gave the duo a slight, courteous bow before gesturing to the main gate of Kunugigaoka Junior High's main building.

Koro nodded, his car keys stuffed in the pocket of his dress pants. He carried his coat over his right arm, his suitcase switching to his other hand as he extended his left hand for a polite handshake. He was a foreigner. Of course, he'd greet the teen as a foreigner would.

"T-That would be me, yes. Professor Sorrel Aarden," he introduced, his voice mild with a slight stutter. He stood straight, almost too straight as nervousness oozed from him. There was a welcoming and appreciative smile on his face. "And, you should be Asano Gakushu? The Student Council President?" he carefully inquired. "The headmaster told me that the student council president would receive us," he explained as he retrieved his hand and switched his briefcase to his left side.

"Exactly, I hope that your trip to Japan was without hurdles and that you've properly settled down," the teen continued, pleasantries rolling off his tongue with frightening ease. His purple eyes left Koro's green ones to look at Byakuran, who disinterestedly stood beside the taller male. "And you must be Chouku Byakuran? The transfer student, yes?" he inquired, the same polite smile adorning his face.

Byakuran leveled his purple eyes to meet Gakushu's at the mention of his name. He observed the strawberry blond with minute boredom, searching his mind for any notable information before dismissing the teen entirely when his investigation proved to be fruitless. He turned his head to the side, clearly ignoring the other's greeting, merely humming in mild acknowledgment.

If Gakushu was offended, he didn't show it. The smile on his face did not stiffen either, deepening on the contrary before he turned to look back at Koro.

"Ah, please forgive us! Ran, Ran didn't mean to ignore you. He's just shy around strangers," Koro swiftly lied, a wry smile on his face as his cheeks tinted themselves in what appeared to be embarrassment.

Gakushu gave the man a mature smile. He gently shook his head as he began to lead the way inside the school grounds. "I understand. It is never easy to be at ease in a brand new environment," he justified, appearing to defend the white head. "I would probably feel overwhelmed as well if I were to transfer during my third year and not long after the beginning of the first term," he reassured, voice jovial as they crossed the gate and grounds before entering the main building.

Koro gave a reassured smile, an impressed look overcoming his features as he gazed at the teen, surprised. "You are very mature, Asano-kun," he praised, amazed.

Gakushu returned the compliment with a smile.

Byakuran, who followed the two, couldn't help but feel both bored and annoyed by his brother's act. He rolled his violet eyes, staring at the ceiling as if it held the answers to the universe. The trio walked through the lockers to the stairs and began climbing to the fourth floor where the headmaster's office was located.