CHAPTER 21: fukujima resorts and poisonous cocktails

Fukujima resort was a nice place

The atmosphere was pleasant. The sound of waves crashing against hard eroding rocks lulled people into a sense of peacefulness. A cool breeze brushed through Koro's short dyed hair and tickled at his face as he leaned into his deckchair. He breathed in the particular scent of salty water, finding comfort in the peaceful environment.

Honestly, if not for the fact that the drink in his hands was drugged, it would have been perfect.

Casually, the hitman brought the spiked drink closer, his mouth wrapped around the bamboo straw, and he silently sipped on the refreshing beverage. A pair of sunglasses comfortably rested in his hair as his violet eyes overlooked the shore and tourists strolling by.

The cocktail tasted sweet, a bit too sweet, in fact. But the temptation of someone trying to poison Koro blinded him to danger. In his line of work, death often loomed over you, casting its warm and sinister shadow over your silhouette at every corner.

So while Koro knew that he wouldn't die from the cocktail, he couldn't help the adrenaline that coursed through his veins, pumping through his blood at the ridiculous odds of his possible demise.

Not that he wanted to die. Especially not given his current conditions.

Yucca, Varia's Cloud Guardian, Top Executive, Member of the Board of one of the most feared assassination organizations, infamously famous mass murderer— to die on the beach because of a mere poisoning case would be ridiculous.

The thought of his epitaph crowned with the words "Here lies the Plague, feared and revered Cloud. Died from food poisoning" sent shivers of repressed disgust along Koro's spine.

The fake blond was confident that given the Varia's personality and how he'd dodged all of their assassination attempts once when he infiltrated them, they'd write something worse. Yes, definitely some ridiculous assumption about his behavior or skills.

Koro's sipping paused for an instant. He blinked. Once, twice, his violet eyes swept over the scenery as he counted for seconds to pass.

Well, if the drink was deadly, then it was a really slow-acting poison.

After confirming that no, he wouldn't get a vision of his imminent death from drinking the sweet beverage, Koro resumed his sipping. He closed his eyes, hiding his irises from the sun as he pulled the pair of sunglasses nested in his hair to rest on his nose.

Ah~ the weather was lovely!

The sun hung high in the sky, washing the earth in its hot rays and bathing those underneath in its UV. There was no better way to tan than lying on the beach on such a sunny day— not that Koro wished to tan. Sunscreen covered his body, and the slight shade cast by the parasol above him worked in pair with the sun-repelling agent to ensure he would not get sunburns or noticeable tan lines.