CHAPTER 18: and the varia welcomed a new member

Stepping out of the sleek limousine, Byakuran brushes his white locks backward

Stepping out of the sleek limousine, Byakuran brushes his white locks backward. His purple eyes sweep the passing students as he carelessly extends his hands.

"Ah, good morning, Byakuran," the familiar voice of the student council president greets.

Byakuran smiled as he passively receives his school bag and a freshly bought cup of hot chocolate. "Good morning~" he hums before taking a sip of his drink.

With practiced ease, Byakuran ignores the whispers and envious glances at his drive. "Have a nice day, young master," the assistant bade with a bow, watching the whitehead get further away. They waited for him to step into the school's ground before getting back in the limousine.

"Eye-catching as always, Chouku-san," Sakakibara laughs as he nods at the white head in greetings. "If you continue like this, I fear for my fame," he jokes, brushing his bangs back to reveal his smooth forehead. His eyes met those of some underclassmen on the side, and he winked, sending the pack of younger girls in a fangirling frenzy.

Gakushu rolled his eyes. "As things stand, you're the only one nurturing a fan club, Ren," he reminded as he led the way up the stairs.

"Aha, touché."

Byakuran gave the two teens by his side a sidelong glance, and his eyes narrowed in a blend of distaste and passive acceptance. They were a mild reminder of his Wreaths, only not as loyal, strong, obedient, or attached. He licked his upper lip off the hot chocolate. He supposed they were bearable enough.

They reached the third floor. Byakuran finished his drink. As he passed the entry to their class, he dumped the empty paper cup in the trashcan and took out a pack of marshmallows with 50% less sugar out. Those were bought specifically for the morning because: "too much sugar so early will give you cavities, Ran-chan!"— or so his brother said.

Either way, he'd just eat twice as many marshmallows to make up for the 50% sugar that was lost in the process.

It had already been a week since his brother's suspension. The rainy season behind them and outdoor swimming classes resuming did not mean much to Byakuran. Sunny weather like today's reminded him of Deisy and his rabbit doll full of stitches, Bubu.

He closed his eyes, leaning his face against the palm of his hand as he silently brushed the violet tattoo under his eye with the tip of his finger.

Although it was only mid-June, the break was now mere weeks away, and thoughts of his Wreaths kept coming and going. Maybe it was because he had never been away from them or Shoichi for so long after regaining his 'memories' or perhaps it was the visit to the zoo and the animal reminiscent of their Asura boxes, Byakuran missed them. Only a very little, tiny, tiny bit.

Not that he'd tell them.

The bell rang announcing the beginning of the first term, homeroom, and Byakuran uncaringly finished his 50% less sugar marshmallows pack. He spied their homeroom, a woman with a cold and severe face entering the class, and with the elegance only the White Spell faction's Boss could have, he retrieved his second pack of white treats and tore it open.