CHAPTER 19: finals, library, and bets

Byakuran didn't know how it happened

One second he thought spending time with the Virtuosi would be boring and a waste of time while being necessary to please his brother's vision of high school life. The next second he was contemplating how great of a coincidence they decided to study in the library today.

Here in all of their— glory?

Well, sitting in front of him was a handful of 3-E students— the origin of most of his problems here, as well as his brother's side mission. He did not remember the Varia ever caring for the well-being of teenagers, Belphegor, their Storm executive being the best example of this statement. (The boy joined at 8, already a budding psycho, and look at how he turned out!)

It merely added to Byakuran's suspicions regarding his brother's involvement in his mission.

"Look at what we have here!" Araki called out, leading the group of five students. "Why if it isn't all of you from class 3-E?" he rhetorically asked, his voice seeming polite, yet the underlying ridicule in his tone was anything but misplaced.

Purple eyes swept the group that sat in front of them. One, two, six students total, two boys four girls, and one of them seemed oddly familiar. The whitehead tilted his head aside in musings, his eyes minutely narrowing as he brushed his thumb against his tattoo in contemplation.

"What a waste," Araki continued, sighing in false distress as he mockingly narrowed his eyes behind his glasses. "For you, this library is like casting a pearl before swine, isn't it?" he provoked behind a polite front. It elicited a laugh from Koyama, the science prodigy, and a snort from Seo, the Los Angeles expatriate. Sakakibara was too occupied smiling at his fangirls to grace them with a response, while Byakuran was lost in musings.

Surely because he was a transfer student who directly scored a seat in 3-A, the new top-scorer with an impeccable 500 points, and was on a first-name basis with Gakushu, the student council president, Byakuran beneficiated of a famous reputation. His display of wealth was a bonus afterward.

He took a step forward, his bag loosely slung over his shoulder, and a pack of marshmallows habitually snuggled in his arms. Araki's eyes minutely widened before a grin stretched on his face, probably thinking about their newest addition joining the fun. Seo, who was about to call out to the girl with twin-tails, also stopped to see why the usually uncaring transfer student seemed interested.

Byakuran did not notice the shift of attention on his person, and if he caught it, he ignored it. His fingers expertly picked a piece of marshmallows that he popped in his mouth with practiced ease. His violet eyes focused on one blue head as he stalked closer to the said boy in silence, casually munching on his treat.

"You," he said, purple eyes shining with a glimmer of recognition as his lips stretched into a broad grin, eyes crinkling into crescents. "Aren't you the one from the assembly?"