CHAPTER 9: the science of wealth; or arthashastra

When Monday came, and Koro went back to 3-E's building, driving his blue car to the bottom of the hill by his lonesome, he didn't expect to be greeted by Karasuma's prominent glare upon entering the teacher lounge

The way the raven-haired male glared into the back of his head, his pitch-black eyes digging into his skull, made the fake blond feel slightly offended. Like— he hadn't done anything apart from telling the students of his occupation on Wednesday, why was he receiving such a treatment?

The world was truly unfair. Koro felt like shedding an imaginary tear as he brought his leather briefcase on the chipped wooden table and opened it to take out some documents to review. Taking a seat at the edge of the table with the window to his right, he didn't forget his thermos with his freshly brewed americano. With a probing sip and a pen in hand, he silently went over the lesson material for today, trying his best to ignore Karasuma's gaze as he twirled the fountain pen between his fingers.

"Professor Aarden," Karasuma broke the silence, walking closer to the blond and pulling the chair on the other side of the table to take a seat. "There is something I would like to discuss with you," he called, not beating around the bush.

Koro lifted his pair of now-green eyes, the lenses of his spectacles slightly glinting under the artificial lighting as he hummed. His head gently tilted to the side, an oblivious look painted on his face, Koro gave the agent a welcoming smile, silently urging him to go on as his eyes flicked from his paper to the raven head. Half of his attention was on his work and the other half on the agent.

"Your younger cousin," the raven began, stressing the word in an almost seething and suspicious way. "Is he a threat to the operation?" he asked as if stating facts.

Koro blinked, his eyes leaving his paper to focus on Karasuma as he gently knitted his brows, lips pursed downwards. "Ran-chan? Please do not be rude, Agent Karasuma. Ran-chan wouldn't even hurt a fly," he denied offended, his voice raised by the end of his sentence as if he couldn't believe the question.

Koro cleverly ignored the fact that once, in a parallel dimension, he worked under his brother's orders and eliminated all of the Arcobanelos to secure a peaceful reign over the world. He also overlooked how Byakuran and himself killed off most of the Vongola and their allies in this same dimension, or how during the Arcobanelo Tournament, Byakuran was part of the main attack force— basically the most dangerous of Tsunayoshi's allies. Details, details.

Karasuma's scowl deepened at the blond's reaction. He was no fool. The mafia man in front of him was either blind or too dotting. "Your cousin," he stressed, "assaulted two students from the main building and would have attacked Nagisa if not for my intervention," he explained, watching as the blond's expression remained unchanged— simply outraged by the revolting statements it seemed.

Inside, Koro was perplexed. He did not remember Ran telling him about this incident at all. While he was thinking that he'd need to ask Ran for clarifications, Koro continued to deny the facts and claim that his brother wouldn't cause harm to the world even if it killed him.