CHAPTER 8: school assembly and sucker punches

As Koro promised, he did not attend any class through the remaining days of the week, and soon, Friday and the April Student Assembly that came with it arrived

As Koro promised, he did not attend any class through the remaining days of the week, and soon, Friday and the April Student Assembly that came with it arrived. It was for class 3-E a dreadful day, one they surely wouldn't mind missing, and if not for the fact that their grades were the lowest of the low and they didn't wish to get kicked out, they would have skipped.

It was during those moments that 3-E felt most jealous of Karma.

Absent, as he had promised, the redhead was skipping.

From the other side of the crowded gymnasium, leaning on one foot and balancing his weight from side to side, Byakuran boredly gazed at the people around him. It was his fifth day of "school," including Monday when he got introduced. Apart from the main building's reaction to his limousine and money, nothing interesting happened.

His purple eyes swept over the crowd, trying to better size the place as he carelessly went over each student. He didn't bother to record them, knowing that if needed, the information would just pop out somehow and merely counted the rows like one counted sheep before going to sleep. All of the third-years were called to attend the monthly event, and they stood in ordered rows in front of the stage where some no-name teacher gave an inspirational speech.

If Byakuran had a piece of chewing gum in his mouth, he would have blown a bubble.

Fortunately, although he did not have a piece of chewing gum, he had mini-marshmallows— enough to calm his insatiable need for sugar and marshmallows. He brought one of the cube-shaped white treats to his mouth, enjoying the way the sweet melted atop his tongue and how his favorite flavor flooded his mouth and invaded his palate. From one eye, he spied on his classmates and the crowd, easily ignoring the attention on him as he brought another white cube to his mouth.

To Byakuran's dismay, not only was he bored, but he also had no one to serve as his sidekick. The students he usually hung out with, namely Asano and Sakakibara, were both parts of the student council and therefore had to participate in the conference. His eyes traveled the crowd for the nth time, he wanted to get away from there and move, but his brother's words prevented him from doing so.

"I am so happy Ran-chan is attending middle school!" the older had squealed.

Byakuran could not bring himself to disappoint the now blond man. Speaking of which, it reminded him that the reason his brother even came was a group of students or their teacher. The ex-Millefiore Boss was no fool. He could feel that Yucca hadn't come for only his target, and from this fact only, he felt his minute interest in Kunugigaoka's infamous 3-E grow.

He had heard of them in passing, a low buzz amidst the gossip. But with the assembly closing in, the whispers grew clearer, becoming obvious jeers now that the target of the rumors presented themselves.

3-E, from what Byakuran heard, was a class of misfits.

His Funeral Wreaths, too, were misfits.

The class of around thirty students was known throughout the whole building as what they should strive not to become. They were the fuel to the machine that was Kunugigaoka Junior High. They served it in energy and allowed its students to better themselves by feeding on self-worth and boosting their ego. From an external point of view, it was a horrible system. But from the school's point of view, it was insurance— a guarantee of success. By comparing themselves to 3-E, the main building would strive to do better because how dare they stoop as low as those mere ants?