CHAPTER 13: red pill in action

The current situation, namely Okuda punching a high school student out cold, was not what Koro believed he would witness upon arriving at the kidnapping scene

Let us go back a few minutes prior, shall we?

After leaving their teacher to his phone call, Kanzaki's group made their way to the more isolated parts of the shopping district. The street was empty, leaving only the six students as they observed the alleyway. Although shops boarded both sides of it, all were closed, and no customers were in sight.

"—That's because it's made up of shops that turn away first-time customers," Kanzaki explained, a calm smile adorning her features as she looked at her excited classmates. "The people who come here don't aimlessly walk around, so we won't have to work around them. That's why it was the route I wanted," she told them with a raised finger as she gestured at the isolated place. "It's the perfect place for an assassination, isn't it?" she rhetorically asked, her smile a tiny bit brighter.

"As expected of Kanzaki!" Kayano praised, hands brought together as she looked up at the class' Madona with stars in her eyes. "Your preparations are perfect!" she chirped, enthusiastically clapping as Okuda nodded along.

Kanzaki chuckled, feeling warmth in the pit of her stomach at her peers' acknowledgment.

"Eh~ Then I guess we'll conduct the plan here," Karma grinned, leaning his weight back and crossing his arms behind his head.

And then all went south, a trio of high schoolers, all more cliché than the previous one, emerged from one side of the alley. They were tall, much taller than them, and wore black gakuran in an unorderly way. They seemed to be coming straight out of a bad low budget movie, starring as gang member 1, gang member 2, and gang member 3.

Karma was the only one left unfazed, provoking the trio before lurching at them and blinding one. The one who seemed like the leader as he walked leading the group.

"See, Nagisa?" he'd said, carelessly turning to look at Nagisa behind him. "If there aren't any witnesses, then there's no problem even if I fight," he explained.

And probably because his name was Karma, another thug knocked him out cold with a blunt weapon the second those words left his lips.

Okuda's breathing hitched. She tightly covered her mouth to prevent herself from breathing too loudly as she kept herself hidden. Red rimmed her eyes as she refrained a whimper from slipping past her lips. She was so scared. Why were they attacking them? What did they do to provoke them? They only wanted to scout the place before trying their new assassination plan tomorrow.

Tears wheeled up, her breathing coming out at an irregular pace. She tried to calm herself, counting in her head as she heard dull thumps and noises. The boys were fighting.

Were they going to kidnap them? Like in movies?

Okuda's face paled the more she thought about what was to happen. Perhaps it was the adrenaline or a coping mechanism, her trembling stopped, and her breathing, although unregular, significantly calmed down.