CHAPTER 10: did you know crucifixion caused asphyxia?

"Ran-chan," Koro drawled as he looked at his brother through lidded eyes

"Ran-chan," Koro drawled as he looked at his brother through lidded eyes. He leaned over the table of their open kitchen, watching as his brother cooked some pasta for them.

The whitehead hummed, adding cream to the onions in his frying pan before mixing it and covering the sauce with a lid.

"Did you threaten some of my students?"

Byakuran did not turn around. Taking the cooking water out of the saucepan and putting the pasta in another bowl, he went to retrieve some herbs and spices.

Koro frowned, knowing the answer already. "Ugh, Ran-chan, you can't go around threatening my students like that. Karasuma was breathing on my neck the whole day because of it," he whined, though Koro obviously faked it.

Byakuran pulled the lid from the sauce, added some seasoning, and took a spoon to have a taste. "Your students are sooo boring, Yucca-nii-chan," the male pouted as if to justify himself. "He didn't even fight back when those 3-D mutts barked at him. What was I supposed to do?" he said with dismay as he shook his head in resignation.

Koro's eyes narrowed as he dug into his memory for such an event until he remembered that Nagisa should have been threatened but gotten out of his predicament by himself. 

His and Ran's presence was already creating changes.

::

As Koro promised, during the whole week, from Monday to Friday for each of his classes on the history of assassination, he gave five new students an assignment for the following week. The last batch was of six students as there were twenty-six of them, and by Monday, last week before midterms, Koro had all of his material for his torture-based class ready.

With the class sat in front of him, ready for a two-hour-long lecture first thing in the morning, Koro grinned. "Bonjour class~" he sang, as usual, too much energy oozing out of him so early in the morning. "As promised, this week we will work on the use and history of torture," he chirped, going to write the title on the blackboard. "We will go back to the history of assassination another time! Torture is quite interesting, and as I can add some practical activities to it, I'm sure you'll love it!" he told them with a grin.

His green eyes swept the class, and he noted that there was no absence today. His smile grew more prominent.

"Torture, from the French torture, originating from the Late Latin tortura and derivating from the past participate of torquere: to twist, is the act of inflicting severe physical and or psychological suffering to another individual," he defined, writing the word's Latin origin down as the orthography might be tricky. "There are two main reasons as to why you would torture someone else," he told the students, his eyes incredibly eery as he looked into each of their orbs. "It can be done to extract information, of course. But torture can also be used to fulfill the torturer's desires."