CHAPTER 20: road to summer break

He felt a headache coming at him

There was something inherently disgusting in 3-A that made Byakuran both want to vomit and applaud. He appreciated how they'd carry themselves, not sparing those unworthy any time. They had their priorities straight and the means to reach their goals. All of them were not apex predators, but together they formed a pack strong enough to intimidate all underneath.

With the finals' results out, Byakuran's opinion of 3-A, formerly good, dropped to a freezing degree.

He felt sickened by their behavior, finding marks of his dictatorship in them and some baseless pride grounded by a useless sense of self. They were like pitiful insects trying to assert their dominance over even tinier and dumber creatures. They wanted to rule and show they stood at the top, but they weren't even capable of doing so against the supposedly worst class of the institution.

Byakuran would not mention how he failed against Tsunayoshi.

Byakuran did not fail against Tsunayoshi during the war.

Byakuran fought to the bitter end, surely overconfident but always brimming with the want to kill and achieve his ultimate goal.

Byakuran gave his all in this all-out battle. He was ready to offer all of his Wreaths' lives to achieve his desired end in this fight.

Byakuran gave up his life in this war. Although it hurt his pride to admit he was defeated, Byakuran can proudly state that he never gave up or reported the responsibility on someone else.

Byakuran wanted the war. He got a war. From this point onward, Byakuran took responsibility for every outcome and each battle.

He loathed how 3-A was currently reporting their loss on the Virtuosi.

Maybe, deep inside, he detested 3-A for failing because it reminded him too much of his own failure.

It wasn't that he still wished to rule over the planes. Byakuran, although internally bitter, didn't dream of becoming the one and only ruler. Maybe, a previous version of him did, the one that birthed his ability to see. Still, the current Byakuran, after failing in this self's endeavor, didn't have the impression of his long life project shattering.

He leaned his cheek against the palm of his hand in pure unbridled boredom, annoyance bubbling in the pit of his stomach as irritation started to roll off of him in waves.

He honestly couldn't wait for the break to start. At least then, he wouldn't have to see these people all week long.

He scoffed. "Pitiful."

Silence fell over the class at his distinct mutter.

Byakuran did not care for the impression he had just made on his classmates. Straightening his spine, he packed his stuff before standing up.