CHAPTER 17: a day at the zoo

"Professor Aarden!" Chairman Asano greeted with a smile as he gestured for the fake blond to have a seat

Koro smiled back. His cheeks dusted in a light reddish color— embarrassment. "Chairman," he greeted back, voice meek and tinted with guilty regret.

Gakuho sat, serene. "I presume that you know why you have been called up to my office, Professor?" he enunciated, eyes grazing his monitor before zeroing back on the hitman in front of him.

The blond wryly laughed in answer. Of course, Koro knew why Chairman Asano called him out. His display of violence against a fellow staff member was more than enough leverage for Asano Gakuho to use against him. "I-I have an idea?"

The Chairman's eyes thinned at his answer. He licked his upper lip, purple gaze seizing the man in front of him. To say that he wasn't annoyed by the blond's act would be an understatement, but Gakuho was above getting angry at such a thing.

"Good," he voiced before pulling a paper from his desk. He retrieved his fountain pen. "Then I will be brief," he handed the form to the blond, a smile on his lips. "A week or two to cool your head should be enough, yes?" he rhetorically stated. Lacing his fingers and resting his chin atop of them, he graced the blond with a closed-eyes smile.

Koro's green eyes flicked to the form. He brushed his blond locks back, silently reading over the words of provisional dismissal. The paperwork he'll have to fill out after this will be dreadful. Koro could already hear the snarky remarks the Varia would serve him after reading his latest report.

"Ah, yes, I'm sorry for the inconvenience," he finally answered as he retrieved the paper, the mask of guilt skillfully adorning his features.

Gakuho observed the hitman for another second, mutely taking in his act before he flashed him a grin, humming through the silence.

"Well, then, I won't hold you up any longer, Professor Aarden," he concluded, motioning to the exit with a wave of his hand.

Koro bashfully smiled back. "Ah, yes, thank you very much, Chairman."

::

"Nii-chan."

Koro lifted his gaze from his computer, leaving his half-done report as he met his brother's purple eyes. The teen leaned against the door frame, a tray in hand and lips tugged down in a pout.

"Ah, Ran-chan," Koro acknowledged, pushing hair back and gently massaging his temples as a gentle smile graced his lips. His eyes flicked to the time on the computer monitor, and he deduced that it hadn't been long since his brother finished classes and came back. "I didn't hear you come in."

The teen hummed, his violet eyes thinning as he carelessly swept his gaze over the office. He walked over to the low table in the middle of the room. Laying the tray atop the glass surface, he poured two cups of coffee. Although Italian coffee making wasn't Byakuran's specialty, he remained pretty proficient in its making.