12 - 9 Years

Homecoming. Most girls get all excited about the chance to dress up and are constantly on edge, waiting to be asked out to the dance. Most guys were nervous to ask someone out or were very confused about what a corsage is. Not Beca. Beca was able to leave it last minute to get a date, or end up stealing someone else's date and she usually wore a smart shirt and trousers, maybe even a tie if she was feeling a little fancy. 

This year was slightly different. It had been a week since the kiss and it was the only thing replaying on the brunette's mind. She hadn't told anyone else about the kiss, nor had she spoken to Chloe about it. It's not that she didn't want to, they just never got the chance. 

Beca wasn't the type to make a big deal about kissing someone but Chloe was. She wanted to talk to Beca about the kiss and know what Beca felt about it, but at the same time she didn't want to make a fool of herself by overthinking the situation. To Chloe, Beca always kissed girls and it didn't mean anything so why would she be different. 

The kiss wasn't the only reason Beca had been acting a little differently over the past week. The seniors had taken their exams recently, and gotten their results back. Let's just say Beca wasn't extremely happy with how she did. It wasn't that she failed everything, because she didn't. In fact, she got quite good grades in English, Music and Gym. She was just disappointed that she didn't pass math. Disappointed is an understatement. She was pissed off. In fact, she lost all her motivations for trying in math that she started to skip her 1 on 1 sessions with Mr Jackson. 

Which brings us back to our story. It was Monday and it was time for Beca's 1 on 1 session with Mr Jackson. Only that when he turned up a few minutes late, she wasn't there. Even though Beca's efforts hadn't been 100% over the past week, at least she was attending. Mr Jackson asked around the teachers lounge, hoping that she had just gone to the bathroom or something but no one had seen her. 

In Chloe's math lesson, everything was normal until there was a knock on the door and everyone looked over to see Mr Jackson standing in the doorway. Let me take this moment to remind you, that no one knew about Beca's private math lessons since she told everyone that she just skipped math. 

"I'm sorry to interrupt, may I borrow Miss Junk? She'll be back in a moment." 

Emily went and stood outside in the corridor, quite worried since she was never the type to be pulled out of lesson. 

"I understand that Beca is your cousin and I was wondering if you knew where she was or if you knew anyone that would know?" Emily raised her eyebrows at the man. She never taught by Mr Jackson so had never really spoken to him before. Why would he be so bothered about Beca anyways?

"Erm, she was in school earlier today. She never usually turns up to math though. Sorry I can't help. Do you mind if I ask why your looking for her?"

"Oh, you don't know about. Never mind. It's nothing serious. I'm sure she will tell you soon enough but if you see her around, tell her to see me after school?"

"Yes sir." 

And with that Emily walked back into the classroom and sat in her seat, still quite confused about the whole conversation. The period ended and the group walked towards Beca's locker which is where they would usually meet her after math. Only she wasn't there. 

"Hey, Stacie. Did Beca tell you where she was going today?"

"Nope. Is everything okay Em?"

Emily pulled out her phone to text Beca but only realised what the date was. 9 years. It had been 9 years that day since Beca's dad had left. It was an annual thing that Beca would be distant and usually do something to get herself in some type of trouble, normally by starting a fight.