14 - Colorado

The next day at school was very chaotic to say the least. Everyone was talking about homecoming and about the big game. Chloe hadn't been asked yet and Beca hadn't asked anyone yet either.

Most people had dates, some girls rejecting guys in case Beca asks them even though there were very slim chances of her actually asking them.

There wasn't a theme to this years homecoming, just your usual run of the mill homecoming, where everyone dresses up nicely and someone tries to spike the punch bowl.

Beca was in music and it was almost the end of class but her teacher had an announcement.

"I know you guys have just done a performance but the principal has asked if someone of you would like to perform at homecoming. The DJ he hired has had to cancel so it's the school band performing and some of you. It's totally optional but it does mean extra credit. The sign up sheet is on my desk so take the rest of the class to think about if you want to take part and even what song you would perform. That's all I have to say."

The class erupted into a dozen conversations, Jesse and Beca both turned to face each other.

"We're going to do it right?"

"Obviously. I'm going to take every chance to perform I can get."

"Chill out Jesse, your acting like your dying. I'll come to your place after school and we can work on some songs."

The bell dismissed the class and they made their way to their lessons, Beca going to the teacher lounge and Jesse to his math class. Beca still felt guilty after not turning up to his lesson, even more so after her mom had ranted at her about how kind he was for giving her private tutoring when he didn't need to. She had apologised endlessly and even explained to him why she wasn't there and of course he was understanding but she still felt guilty so she had been putting all of her effort into the lesson.

She sat at their usual table, smiling as the other teachers left to go to their own classes and she opened the textbook to start early while she was waiting for Mr Jackson to show up. A few minutes later he did show up and they got straight to it.

They finished what they were supposed to do for the day with time to spare so they were looking over what to do next. He ended up giving her a small practice paper to see how far she could get through it in the time they had left and to also see if she had improved, even if it was only by a little.

The bell rang, signalling lunch and Beca put her pencil down on the table and stood up to leave.

"Do you mind staying a few minutes while I look over the paper? It shouldn't take too long, I won't keep you from your lunch." Beca sat back down, anxiously watching as Mr Jackson looked over her paper.

Five minutes went by and he handed her back the paper. Beca didn't dare to look at the paper, already expecting to see a large F on the front of it.

"Whatever you've been doing, it's paying off. I'd still like to keep these sessions going but maybe after Christmas break you can join your friends in the classroom. Well done Beca."

Beca raised her eyebrows and looked at the paper and to her surprise there wasn't an F but a C. She thanked him before grabbing the paper and taking it to her locker where Emily, Jesse, Fat Amy and Stacie were waiting for her. She quickly shoved the paper in her pocket and walked over to the group.

"Where have you been?"

"Relax Conrad. I'm here now aren't I? But I am hungry so we're going to eat."

"Your always hungry" Stacie said, rolling her eyes.