28 - Valentines Day

Being single when your friends are in relationships is painful on regular days. But, when your single on Valentines Day and everyone else in a happy relationship, it's even worse.

Jesse was never bothered about relationships. He never needed someone because Beca never had a girlfriend which meant they had a lot of spare time to spend together. If Beca was with one of her flings on Valentines, he would spend the day with Stacie. If they were both busy, Emily never was. Same with Fat Amy.

Point is, he never needed to be with someone on Valentines Day because he had company. Except this year it would be different. Everyone around him had plans for the day and it was secretly killing him. So, he made it his mission to finally find the courage to ask out his crush.

Jesse wasn't desperate and this wasn't some crush he'd just created so he could be with someone - he had liked her on and off for a while. He was left to sit next to her in Math since he usually sat next to Beca in lessons, but they surprisingly got on quite well.

When math got boring, they turned to each other to find entertainment. This lesson would be no different.

She walked in the room and took her seat, taking her books out of her bag.

"Good morning, Jesse."

"Hey, Jessica."

Jessica was a cheerleader and was a part of Aubrey's little group. She wasn't extremely popular but she was shy and whenever she wasn't at cheer, she was with Ashley. It was kind of like they came as a pair. Jessica was also in a similar to boat to Jesse now that Ashley had found herself a boyfriend - Jesse and Jessica had vented their thoughts about this last lesson and now Jesse had a vague idea of where her head was at.

Jesse had came close to asking her out many times before. However, every time he went to do it, he'd jumble up his words and end up forming a sentence that didn't make sense and embarrass himself.

He had five days until Valentines Day. He was going to do it by then.

...

Lucy was onto her third treatment course and she was enjoying it a little more now that she had a new doctor. He'd come into her room every morning, make small talk and then return at his lunch break where they would either have a game of scrabble or uno.

Lucy had no complaints every time he returned and they grew close enough so she could find out he was single. It was just a matter of dropping the right hints so he would ask her out.

She was in her hospital bed, flicking through the channels to find a good show when he walked in the room, wheeling in a wheelchair.

"Morning, Lucy."

"Doctor Nelson, you're early." Lucy said with a smile.

The two exchanged a glance and she could see Nelson was nervously shuffling his feet behind the chair. He was slightly younger than Lucy, probably in his late thirties, but it didn't make a difference when they were together. The best way to describe him would be to say he is very similar to season 1 Derek Shepherd but more matured and Lucy wasn't complaining.

"I had spare time." He moved from behind the chair and sat on the foot of her bed, flipping through her chart and updating it as Lucy watched. "Any plans for Valentines Day this year?"

Lucy just laughed, knowing she hadn't had any Valentines Day plans in many years, but she managed to settle herself down. "I have a date with a bowl of ice cream, my couch and the Bridget Jones movie." They both laughed and Lucy started to get everything ready to take with her.

She got herself in the wheelchair, ready for Nelson to take her to her treatment. He pushed her along, going the long way around so they could spend more time together before preparing her for her treatment. They made small talk once again and once Lucy was ready, Nelson went to leave the room and then turned back on himself.