20 - Silence

It had been a week. Seven days. One-hundred and sixty-eight hours give or take.

One week since Beca had last spoken to Stacie. So far their only form of communication was Beca seeing Stacie's social media and this was a lot considering Stacie posted anything and everything on her Instagram stories.

Chloe and Aubrey hadn't spoken all that much either. The only time they had spoken was when Aubrey was barking orders at the whole cheer squad.

It was new - not speaking to each other for a week. The longest Beca and Stacie hadn't spoken to each other was two days in third grade. Even then they managed to forgive each other when Stacie bought them both ice cream.

When an important holiday like Thanksgiving is coming up, you want to be close with your friends and family - especially your closest friends who you spend the holiday with.

Every year Beca and her mom would have Thanksgiving dinner at the Conrad household with Jesse and his mom. All their families were broken or misshaped, but it wasn't important that they were perfect but that everyone was able to get by. But everyone cannot get by when two of them aren't even talking.

"Beca, you've got to talk to her."

Beca and Jesse were walking down the school hall and Jesse was already sick of the tension between them.

"Jesse, seriously stop talking. I'll talk to her... eventually... I've got to go. Erm, soccer stuff."

She waved an awkward goodbye and made her way to the gym, leaving Jesse stood alone in the hall.

"But we have class..." Jesse said in a confused tone, shrugging his shoulders as he continued his path to the class room.

In the class, Jesse was sat next to Stacie and unlike Beca, Jesse was speaking to Stacie and has been for the past week.

"Will you tell Beca to talk to me?"

"I have and why can't you start conversation first?"

"Because then I look like the loser who gave in first. Plus, she made out with Chloe and is still yet to talk to me about it."

"You literally slept with Aubrey and didn't tell anyone!" Jesse said in an extremely loud whisper.

Stacie paused for a moment before turning back to him. "But I always sleep with people, it's nothing new!"

...

Beca had just finished up in the gym and made her way to the locker room to change again. She had just put on her ripped jeans when the locker room door opened and Beca waited to see who entered the room, giving a sigh of relief when she realised who it was.

"Oh, Sophie it's only you." Sophie walked around the corner, bag in hand and wearing her cheer uniform and someone's letterman jacket.

"Don't sound so disappointed to see me. Jesse told me you were here and I came to find you."

Sophie sat on one of the benches and she opened her bag to pull out an even smaller gift bag.

"I know your birthday isn't till Friday but you probably have plans and there's no harm in giving it a little early."

Sophie handed Beca the bag and she opened it, pulling out a small box. Beca lifted the lid to see two things: one was a copy of Beca's favourite book, signed by the author on the inside cover and the other was a personalised guitar pic, which had Beca's name on it in gold over the black plastic.

"I- thanks Soph, you really didn't have to."

"It's not every day my girl turns eighteen."

Beca let out a small laugh and embraced Sophie in a quick hug and went back to getting changed and Sophie left the locker room. Beca pulled on her black Fleetwood Mac Rumours shirt and made her way out into the hall just in time for her next class.