23 - Somewhere That's Green

Beca froze completely. 

She knew she wasn't supposed to tell her, especially on this night. But it wasn't as if she could go back in time and untell her. 

Emily stood in the doorway, a single tear balanced on the edge of her eyelid. She waited for some sort of explanation or just a single word, but Beca said nothing. 

Chloe was on the other side of the call, awkwardly waiting for Beca to hang up or something. 

Emily walked in the room, sat on Beca's bed, still waiting for Beca to say something. 

"You weren't supposed to know yet."

"I should hang up-"

"Stay. Just stay so I can tell you both at once." 

Both of them waited for an answer as Beca took a moment to collect herself. She went on to explain how her mother had stage three cancer, the different treatments she could have and pretty much everything the doctor said. 

It wasn't until she finished that she realised all three of them were in tears, some more than others. 

Chloe blew her nose incredibly loud and then apologised for crying, her mascara running down her cheeks. 

"How long does she have?" Emily asked, her voice shaky. 

"Doctors say between six months and a year, potentially more if we're lucky. She's still deciding on whether she wants the treatment. We've looked over it all, looking at cost, survival rate and side-effects. Whichever one she chooses, it's going to cost a hell of a lot more than what we can probably afford comfortably."

Everyone went silent, all in thought of ways to help. 

"Why don't we fundraise? We can fundraise enough to cover the bills, with the rest going towards like research or other people who can't afford it." Chloe said.

Emily nodded in agreement but Beca wasn't so sure. 

"I don't even know. My mom doesn't want everyone to see her as 'poor sick Lucy'. Her words not mine. Between the musical, college applications, actual schoolwork and supporting my mom through it all, would we even have time to organise this?"

Beca was already sure the idea was pointless but Chloe was not about to give up. 

Emily was still processing everything she had just been told and now all she wanted to do was go see Lucy, which she did. Beca and Chloe said goodbye, Chloe leaving Beca to spend time with her mom and Chloe's head was busy thinking of ways she could help.

...

Most of the next day was spent rehearsing for the school musical, which Beca was happy to do since it helped Emily take her mind off things and occasionally Beca's too. 

During scenes where Beca wasn't needed, Beca sat in the audience on her computer, once again researching and looking at finances. Her mom told her that it wasn't her responsibility and that she should be 'living while she's still young' but Beca was determined to find some sort of solution.

Most of the cast and members of the orchestra were now sat in the audience, waiting and watching as Benji and Emily went over lines for one of their scenes. 

So far, Beca had cancelled her gym membership and now she was about to cancel her math tutor that Mr Jackson had told her to go to.

Chloe noticed she was messaging someone and peered at her computer screen.

"Who's Laura?" 

Beca panicked and closed her laptop, "She's no one. An old friend."

"As in old friend who your friends with or old friend as in friends with benefits?"