35 - Goodbye

*TWO MONTHS LATER*

The week had come for their goodbyes. Everyone's bags were packed and waiting for the day they had to leave. One by one the group got smaller.

Jesse was first, since he still had to move all of his things in. Everyone met up for breakfast that morning and drove to the airport to say goodbye at the gate, where there weren't many dry eyes and Jesse's mom couldn't stop crying as she was trying to take pictures of the group together one last time. They all went back to the parking lot and watched his plane take off together, waving frantically, even though he probably couldn't see them.

The next day, Stacie and Aubrey were on their flight to Massachusetts, ready to begin their future at Harvard University. Aubrey was going to study at the law school, learning to become a lawyer and Stacie was going to the medical school, where she will train to become a nurse. They went out for lunch all together and said their goodbyes before the two of them drove off with their families to the airport.

Fat Amy went back to Australia two days later, taking a gap year to go visit family and travel before starting college. Everyone gave her strict orders of where they want postcards from and souvenirs from all of her adventures. They drove her to the airport and cried at the doors, even though Amy blamed it on allergies.

Benji was next to go the day after and insisted that he didn't want anyone going out of their way to say goodbye. When he arrived at the airport, he saw the remainder of the group holding up a sign saying 'Goodbye Benji' and he started to get emotional. He and Emily would be seeing each other in a matter of days, but they still said goodbye like they were never going to see each other again.

Beca, Chloe and Emily said goodbye to Jessica at the train station the following day and then they were the last three. Chloe's plane was leaving the morning of the next day and Emily had booked the later flight. Beca would be the last one to leave Northfield and then they would all be scattered over different states.

The three of them spent the night at the diner where Beca first took Chloe to do 'homework'. They had been there so many times in the past few months and it felt like the perfect place to mark the end of their summer. Most of the time they sat in silence, unsure of what to say. If one of them brought up a memory, it would just be a reminder that they wouldn't be able to make more any time soon. No one even dared to mention either one of them leaving. So they sat in silence. Comfortable silence.

The next morning Beca, Lucy and Emily got up early so they could go say goodbye to Chloe before she left with her family to go to the airport. They drove to her house, where Anne was giving breakfast to them all, and spent an hour there. Beca had agreed to help Chloe pack the last minute items upstairs. It didn't take long for it to be packed, but they didn't go downstairs quite yet because they knew it would be closer to Chloe leaving. Instead they just lied on the bed and held each other, refusing to let go until they had to.

"Chloe, it's time to go." Anne shouted from the bottom of the stairs.

Beca went to stand up, but Chloe dragged her back, ignoring the shouts from her mom. "Chlo, come on. You'll miss the flight."

She picked up Chloe's suitcase and wheeled it to the door, waiting for Chloe to follow her. She stood up and walked over to Beca, not breaking eye contact as she moved closer, connecting their lips for a passionate kiss. Their arms wrapped around each other perfectly and neither of them fought harder than the other for dominance, they just didn't want the moment to end. It was the perfect last kiss.