CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR: SOUNDLY ASLEEP

· · ──── ·𖥸· ──── · ·

"...Ms. Sanchez has confirmed that the meeting will be held tomorrow morning at exactly 10 am. No one should be late" Mr. Bradey Reported over the phone all while the sound of the bathroom door met my ears.

I exhaled and my mouth came shut. Silence engulfed the room as my wife could be seen from the corner of my eyes, slowly walking towards her bed until she was there. It was only until then that I glanced completely over to see her carefully hopping on before snuggling under the covers.

"Mr. Mariano?! Are you there?" The abrupt voice of Mr Bardey had quickly brought me back to reality.

I cleared my throat, swiftly averted my gaze. "I will see you there." I quickly spoke my final words before I hung up and placed my phone away.

After that, a sigh had escaped my lips as my eyes came into contact with the laptop that sat before me, and I was quickly reminded that I still had some work that needed to be done before I could fully relax.

So, in the dead silence of the night, I got to work and began typing away on my laptop. However, it did not take me long to become distracted as Linda entered the room shortly after, holding a tray of food in her hands.

I quickly glanced as she made her way to hazel before swiftly returning my gaze to my laptop.

Losing focus was something I did not want. So, as much as my eyes wanted to wander over to where my wife was laying, I fought hard and in the end, managed to keep focus as this project was extremely important to me.

So I encouraged myself to remain concentrated and continued on with my work; however, Linda brought a plate of food over to me shortly after, and I was once again tempted to look up; but this time, instead of looking up, I kept my gaze fixed on the screen of the laptop as I thanked Lindar before she walked away.

Now the place had returned to its original state of silence after the door had closed seconds later, I placed my food aside and instead decided to complete my project first before even thinking about eating. So that's exactly what I did, I continued...

Unfortunately though, It was shortly after that a sigh had reached my ears and this time,no matter how much I fought to remain focused, I lost. As I raised my head, my eye immediately scanned the room before it settled on her and a frown quickly appeared on my face as I watched as several attempts were made by her to eat the bowl of soup but her hands continually shook, and in the end, I watched as she let out an exhausted sigh before putting the bowl of soup away.

She had given up...and for some reason, I did not like that...

'She's not going to bed hungry, is she?' I wondered

The problem is that she was still not that well and I would prefer that she not miss a single meal until she had fully recovered. And since this was soup, I knew it would help her recover even faster, so as much as I did not want to move from here and instead, remained concentrated on my work, I couldn't help but do something. I had to.