CHAPTER SIXTY-THREE: DEEP WATERS

· · ──── ·𖥸· ──── · ·

After a few minutes had gone by, a knock on the door soon followed

Mr. Mariano paused his speech, his gaze shifting towards the room's entryway where, in stepped a group of people, fairly tall and fully clothed in black. Their ages appeared to range between their early twenties to late thirties.

Following them from behind were two men dressed in suits, both very buff, and carrying machine guns in their arms, gripped firmly around their fingers. I froze for a split second as my eyes came into contact with the weapons they were holding. Fear was slowly but steadily taking hold of me.

Silence became even more deafening as the bodyguards entered the room. My attention was drawn away from their weapons and toward their tall stature and blank faces.  Their expressions appeared solemn, intensifying this already terrifying situation.

I fear this meeting was about to become very serious since the war door was soon slammed shut, trapping all of us inside.

And, yeah, things were about to get a whole lot serious...

Out of fear, my body took a step back, unconsciously moving itself closer to Mr. Mariano. Even though I was terrified of him as well...somehow, I...I.... I knew that he was the only one that could protect me...

and i felt safe next to him

"Boss," they all greeted as they approached him. Mr Mariano responded with a short nod and motioned for them to take a seat, which they did.

Upon his command, they sat quickly but quietly in the few vacant seats at the back of his office

The meeting quickly resumed with more Italian from Stephan, and while I found it amusing to hear him speak in this manner and would not mind hearing him speak in this way for the rest of the day, I had to resist becoming too obsessed because this meeting appeared to be extremely important and serious. So I would hate for mistakes to be made which would lead to me embarassing myself.

Instead I shifted my attention away from him, my gaze searching around the room for a brief second before I found my focus returning to the two men standing at the entrance of the door.

And... I could feel my body succumbing to fear once more...

I-I'm not sure, but they honestly remind me of my previous life before I was sold off...

My hellish experience... and the never-ending nights of nightmares.

They had a familiar look to the so-called 'good people' who would normally drag me out of my cage when I refused to leave and then tie me up when I fought back...

It was terrifying...and I honestly just could not help but be terrified right now—

The room fell silent out of nowhere, causing me to immediately turn my head and return my attention to Mr. Mariano, who was staring straight at the two men guarding the door.