Chapter 1: Bonfires and Cowboy Wannabes

Deagan can think of about twenty other things to do than going to a bonfire where she won't know a whole lot of people. Living in a small town, one would think Deagan would know more people than she does. She's always lived in Franklin, Tennessee which is approximately thirty minutes from Nashville. She's had dreams of moving to a big city such as Los Angeles or New York. She's never taken anything to deal with home too seriously including high school, never bothering to get herself into a long-term relationship.

          Another issue that Deagan does not agree with is the fact that now, being in college she has to commute since she still lives with her parents, not letting her move out until she graduates. With Deagan not having a ton of friends, which she doesn't mind, she only has three close friends: Grace, Danielle, and Victoria. Her friends decided they were going to go to a big bonfire, of course, wanting to drag Deagan along. Driving along the backroads, the only thing she loves, they drive until a farmhouse appears in the horizon. Deagan notices that it's a pretty nice sized house, guessing it's on a few hundred acres, few stables, and a massive barn beside it. Deagan can't help but think that this whole going to a bonfire/party is the opposite of what she wants to be doing on a Saturday afternoon/evening. Pulling up to the back of the house, a bunch of trucks and jeeps sitting on the property, the girls get out of the car, Deagan noticing the river running along the back of the property, big fireball illuminating the sky as it's starting to get dark.

          She wonders if she is going to regret her wardrobe choice, jean shorts, teal razorback tank top, and cowboy boots as the sun continues to set. The girls walk closer to the bonfire. She sees tons of people both equal in numbers, guys and girls. One thing she does love about Tennessee is the attractive men. She's noticed the guys at the bonfire, but one stands out more than the others. She can't help but look at the mystery guy, seeing his features. Blonde hair, blue eyes, if she had to guess about a 6'4 frame. He's wearing jeans that look a little worn out, a V-neck T-shirt on, baseball cap backward, a very close resemblance to Chase Rice, drinking a beer and talking along with his friends. They make brief eye contact, both looking away smiling. Looking back over at him as he walks over to the girls, a couple of beers in his hands. Deagan can see the edge of a tattoo on his chest and bicep taking note that he is very muscular, probably from all the physical labor he does on what she assumes is his farm.

          "Hey there, I think your boyfriend must be an idiot for not coming with you tonight," he says smiling.

          "Umm I don't have a boyfriend," Deagan smiles, her friends noticing her mood change since he walked up.

          "Well, that's hard to believe," he says smiling, handing a beer over to her.

          "Thank you," Deagan says taking the beer from him and opening the cap, and sliding it in her jean pocket and taking a sip.

          "I'm Chase by the way," he says taking a sip of his beer and holding out his hand for her to shake.

          "I'm Deagan," she smiles sliding her hand into Chase's.

          "Deagan huh? That's pretty unique. I like it. It's a pleasure to meet you," Chase nods his head.

          "Thank you. You don't hear it that often. But it's nice to meet you too," Deagan smiles, both walking back over to the big fire, taking another sip of her beer.

          "So why the long face?" Chase smiles.

           "I can think of a million other things to be doing right now."

          "Alright well lay it on me," Chase says taking another sip of his drink.

          "I don't know," Deagan shrugs, "shopping, swimming, tanning, stuff like that," taking another long sip of her beer. "I want to get out of this town in general."

          "Well, we can go swimming," Chase smirks pointing at the river, "but otherwise the sun is going down, so I can't help with tanning. There's no mall around here so I can't help with shopping and I don't have a plane so I can't get you out of here. But, I can offer swimming, drinking, music, and hanging out with good people for tonight," he winks at her.

          "Is this your place?" Deagan asks, assuming so.

         "Yeah, my family moved down here just before I started high school and I bought this place after I finished college," he takes a sip of his beer. "It's a lot quieter here than where I grew up."

          "College grad huh? I wish I were done."

          "Yes, I'm sure you're also a few years younger than me though too," Chase says taking another sip of his beer. "And don't rush it, life gets complicated afterward."

          "I'm twenty-four. You?" Deagan asks smiling.

          "I'm twenty-nine."

          "Damn, yeah you are way older than me," Deagan winks at him and following him, watching Chase pull the tailgate down on his truck.

          "Gee thank you," Chase laughs pulling himself up on the tailgate. Deagan pulls herself up also, watching everyone else partying and getting drunk. "Do you want something other than beer?"

          Looking down at her half-empty bottle, "I'm good, thank you," she smiles taking another sip and looking out at everyone.

          "So until you get out of this terrible place," winking at Deagan, "what do you do for fun?"

           "Go out of town for one, umm I horseback ride. My uncle owns a horse farm," placing her hands on the tailgate swinging her legs around.

          "I have a few here," Chase nods.

          "You do?" Deagan asks taking her hand off the tailgate and running a hand through her hair.

          "Yeah, I do. Do you want to go see them?"

          Nodding her head, yes, both of them hopping off the tailgate, Deagan follows Chase away from the bonfire.

          They make their way up the dirt path, "No offense because I'm glad you did, but what made you decide to come out here tonight?"

          "My friends dragged me out here," Deagan smiles, crossing her arms.

          "Well, then don't sound too thrilled about it," Chase laughs. Walking closer, Deagan hears Chase whistle, two black labs running out of the barn.

         She smiles, seeing the energetic labs run out and to them. "Hey," she says kneeling down and petting them. "You guys are beautiful," they lick Deagan's face with the compliment, wagging their tails.

          "This is Rex and Sid," Chase smiles, petting them both. "They're brothers. They love the horses."

          "Well, that's good," standing back up and following Chase to the stables. They walk into the stable, Deagan sees a few horses in their quarters. She walks over to the closest horse to her, running her hand over the horse's neck and muzzle. The horse nudges and sniffs Deagan.

          "That is Scarlet," Chase smiles handing a carrot to Deagan.

          "Hi Scarlet," Deagan greets holding out the carrot as Scarlet takes it out of her hand,

          "Maybe one day you can come by and take her out with me. She is the best horse ever."

          "Are you inviting me to ride with you one day?" Deagan smiles.

          "Well, I mean unless you manage to find another guy with a plane so you can get out of here first then yes," winking at Deagan and smirking a little.

          "Well, I will keep you in mind," petting Scarlet's neck.

          "Sounds good to me."

          "Do you want to head back?" Deagan asks as she is starting to get cold, really missing the big fire at the moment.

        "Yeah that sounds great," Chase smirks, noticing that she looks cold.