Chapter 43: Old Times

An hour passes as the kids, and even Chase and Deagan are getting tired also. They walk back to the restaurant and the car and getting them in their car seats.

          "Do you wanna come by for a bit?" Chase asks softly closing the door.

          "Yeah sure," Deagan nods as she gets in Chase's car heading to Chase's place following him.

          They both pull up to the house about ten minutes later as they head inside, Chase carrying both kids upstairs to their rooms. Deagan shuts the front door behind her and walking to his living room and sitting down on the couch, waiting for Chase to come back downstairs.

          "They're out," Chase smiles getting to the bottom of the stairs. Sliding his hands on Deagan's shoulders, "want anything to drink?"

          "Umm water is fine," Deagan smiles. She watches Chase disappear into the kitchen. A few minutes later Chase emerges, two water bottles in hand as he sits down.

          "Thank you," says Deagan, taking a sip then placing the water bottle in her lap. "Thanks for including me in your day with your kids."

          "Yeah, of course, they like you," Chase's smile beaming.

          "I like them. They are terrific kids, you did good," sliding her hand on Chase's thigh, patting it.

          "Thank you," Chase smiles.

          "I'm sorry for what you've been through. It's got to be tough, being a single dad with two incredible kids."

          Shrugging his shoulders a little, "It's not easy, but they make it a lot easier."

          "And I'm sorry for all the shit I've done to you."

          "It's okay. You had a dream, and you did it. It's nothing to be mad about."

          "Yeah but I hurt you and a lot of people in my path," Deagan says turning and facing him on the couch, one leg on the couch.

           "Deagan you're okay, it was a long time ago."

          "I know. You know how I am. I always feel bad afterward," Deagan sighs.

          Nodding his head, "Yeah I know," Chase smiles as Deagan fixes her braid not saying anything "What are you thinking?"

          "I've been such a bitch to you and everyone," Deagan says tearing up, dabbing her eyes.

          "D, look at me," he says wiping her eyes with the corner of his shirt. "It was a long time ago, and you weren't a bitch you just wanted something else," putting his hand under her chin.

          "But you were so sweet, and all you wanted was to be with me and me not to leave," Deagan sniffles.

          Running his thumb along her cheek just like he used to when they were dating. "I know but Deagan you wanted something more, and that's okay."

          "You deserve someone that's going to make you happy. Just like your wife," Deagan says after taking a deep breath.

          "Deagan, you made me happy too, you always have."

          "But you don't know when I'm just going to have to leave again," saying softly.

          "I know," Chase says. "And that was the risk I was willing to take last time."

          Looking into Chase's eyes, swallowing hard as she leans forward and kisses his forehead softly closing her eyes and resting her lips there.

          "I have kids now. It would kill them to get attached to someone that would leave. Like what happened with their mother," Chase says watching Deagan swallow hard. "Deagan you have no idea how badly I've wanted this to work for so long, but I have to think about them first now," sliding his hand onto her hip.

          She moves closer as she feels his hand on her hip. "I know, and I'm glad you are thinking of them first."

           "I need to know if you can handle staying here," Chase says sliding his other hand on the side of her knee.

          "What do you mean like quit and move back here?"

          "No, just that you could live here and when you had to work you'd just have to for a couple of days than you'd be back."

          "I mean I guess I could do that," Deagan says softly.

          "Really?" Chase asks a little surprised.

          "I mean yeah I have more than enough money to keep flying back and forth," Deagan says softly.

          "And what happens when you get sick of being around here again," Chase pulls Deagan closer.

          "Then I'll go back to Los Angeles for a few weeks...a mini vacation...."

          "Deagan," cutting her off. "You wouldn't just be with me you'd be with my kids. They would miss you. They'd wonder where you were. They already have issues with what happened to their mom. I can't imagine if they thought they wanted to get away from them by choice.

          "You didn't let me finish," Deagan says.

          "Okay."

          "I'd take a mini vacation to Los Angeles," Deagan pauses, "with the man of my dreams and his two little kids," a sly smile forming on her lips.

           "Oh yeah?" Chase says sliding his arm around her.

          "Yeah," she says softly. "Did you think I was just going to say go back to LA?"

          "Can you blame me?" Chase smiles.

          "I know, not to make that same mistake a fourth time," Deagan trails off.

          Leaning in and kissing Deagan softly feeling Deagan's hands on his neck. Pulling away, he looks at her before kissing her again, deeper, sliding his hand back into her hair. Grabbing the blanket that is draped over the couch, he pulls it over them and continues to make out with Deagan, sliding on top of her.

          "What if you're kids come down here?" Deagan asks a little breathless.

           "Hence the blanket, unless you want me to stop of course," sliding his hands on her hips.

          "No," Deagan says softly kissing Chase again