Chapter 37: Heartfelt Breakup

"That was nice of you to let my wife sit up there in first class," the elderly gentleman says to Chase.

          "It wasn't a big deal. The airline upgraded me anyway, and at least she's more comfortable now," Chase smiles.

          "Well like I said thank you. I appreciate it. She was excited."

          "Well, I'm glad I could make her day."

          "What are you flying to Tennessee for?" the gentlemen asks.

          "I am heading home actually, yourself?"

          "Same. What were you doing in California?"

          Chase sits back, "Well I went to go visit my girlfriend who just did a naked photo shoot for Playboy, and I then caught making out with her ex, so I'm quite positive we're not dating anymore."

          "Shit," he says a little surprised not expecting that. "You've had a trip than haven't you?" he laughs a little.

          "Yeah it's sure as hell been something," Chase laughs.

          The plane reaches altitude, the passengers now allowed to take their seat belts off and move around. Deagan takes the opportunity to see if she gets back into coach to find Chase.

          "Yes Ms. Peters?" the flight attendant asks as Deagan gets her attention.

           "I know first class isn't allowed to go back in coach, but I need to talk to somebody back there," pointing towards coach.

          "Umm well, I guess we could make an exception."

          Sliding a strand of hair behind her ear, "Thank you so much," standing up and making her way back to coach.

          When Deagan makes her way back, she scans the plane, looking at all the people till she sees him. He's sitting with who Deagan assumes is the woman's husband. Their eyes lock as a lump forms in Deagan's throat, walking closer.

          "There you are," Deagan says.

          "Hi," is all Chase can manage to say.

          "I'm an idiot, and I'm not right. You're right, about everything. I have changed; the city does that to people. I've wronged you so many times and that kiss that Troy and I had it meant nothing. I know that doesn't justify anything, but I'm here, aren't I? I'm on this plane back to Tennessee because I was chasing after you. Ironic isn't it? Usually, you are chasing me," Deagan says, all the coach passengers watching them. Standing up, Chase takes her hand and walks her back to the back, out of everyone's eyesight.

           "Deagan, thank you for doing all of this and being sorry, but I can't keep doing this with you. I love you so much, but I can't keep doing this. I want to settle down and start a family, that is where I'm at it in my life, but instead, I'm dating someone who's willing to show every intimate part of herself to anyone willing to buy a magazine, intimate parts that I thought were saved for me. Then, I walk into your place to once again try to fix this, and I walk into you making out with Troy?"

          "So we can't fix this?" Deagan asks swallowing hard.

          "Deagan," Chase looks at her. "I've been willing to fix this over and over, but I want to get married and have a family, not a decade from now when you decide you're done modeling. That's what I need, and I don't think you're willing to give up what you do for me."

          Deagan sighs as she pulls away, running a hand through her hair not saying anything.

           "Yeah, I figured," Chase nods, sliding his hand onto her cheek and leans in and softly kiss her forehead. "You were never happy back home anyway when we were together, and that's what you deserve."

          She closes her eyes when Chase kisses her forehead, tears starting to fill her eyes. After wiping her eyes with the corner of his shirt, he looks down at her.

          "Why don't you go and sit down and relax and we'll talk when we land," says Chase.

          "Okay," Deagan nods and says softly wiping her eyes as she makes her way back to her seat in first class.

          The plane lands and the two sit at the airport, concluding coffee that they are not going to work out, given that Deagan won't give up her modeling career just yet. Both of them know she's not ready to settle down yet. After coming to their conversation, Deagan is back on a plane to Los Angeles.

          It breaks both of their hearts knowing that they can't work out. Chase sits with her till her plane boards giving her one last kiss as she disappears into the terminal. Chase stands there watching her leave as it kills him to let her go again.