Chapter 42: Coloring and Tag

The next day Deagan makes her way out of the bed to take a shower, taking Chase up on his offer to come by the restaurant. After braiding her hair, she makes her way to the restaurant in his car.

          When Deagan gets into town, she sees a lot more businesses have made their way into vacant places that were there years before. She notices a bunch of little shops and the cafe that is right next to Chase's restaurant. Walking in, she sees Chase walk out of the kitchen, wearing jeans, a chefs coat and his hat backward.

          "Hey," he greets her.

          "Hi," Deagan smiles.

          "You came," Chase says, catching surprise in his voice.

          "Why wouldn't I?" she smiles.

          "I don't know you wouldn't have before," taking a sip of his water. "I hope you're hungry."

          "Yes, I am. I haven't eaten anything today because I knew you would fix a lot of food. What's on the menu?" Deagan asks smiling.

          "Well, we're doing sandwiches and desserts today so a roast turkey sandwich with pesto and avocado and Havarti, a quesadilla with pineapple, chicken and gouda and an avocado sour cream, and a couple of others. Then for dessert, we're making a pumpkin bread pudding with a whiskey cream sauce and a pecan pie with homemade cinnamon ice cream."

          "Well I feel fat already," Deagan smiles winking at Chase.

          "Trust me you're not fat you're perfect," Chase winks at her, motioning for her to follow him to the kitchen.

          Not commenting, Deagan follows him to the kitchen seeing Myah and Taylor at the counter coloring. After being introduced to the kitchen staff, Deagan takes a seat right beside Taylor.

          "What are you coloring?" Deagan asks Taylor, Chase getting back to cooking.

          "Superheroes," he says with a huge grin. "I like Batman most," Taylor smiles.

          "Batman? Yeah, he's a good one. My favorite superhero is Thor. Do you know who Thor is?" Deagan asks, placing her chin on her hand and elbow on the counter.

          "Yeah, he's good too."

          "You're doing an excellent job coloring," Deagan praises.

          "Thanks, I like coloring."

          "Me too," Deagan smiles. "Coloring is fun. I still color and I'm almost as old as your dad."

          "My dad is old," Taylor says through giggles. Chase laughs as he's leaning against the counter mixing contents in a bowl.

          "I'm pretty close to him, so I guess I'm old too huh?"

          "You don't look as old as my dad."

          Saying it a little quietly, "Cause I'm not, your daddy is older than me," Deagan winks.

          "You know," Chase says putting a few things into the ice cream machine. "I may be old, but I'm not deaf yet."

          "What are you coloring?" Deagan asks Myah, the little girl giggling.

          "I'm coloring princesses," Myah smiles.

          "Who's your favorite princess?" Deagan asks sliding her hand to the back of her neck.

          "I like Cinderella and the ones from Frozen."

          "I like Elsa," Deagan says.

          "Me too."

          Deagan winks at her, then looking down and watching Myah and Taylor both color, noticing they are very well behaved. But, also thinking that these two beautiful children have been through so much in their short lives, of course along with their dad.

          "Ready for some food?" Chase asks, pulling Deagan out of her thought.

          "Yes!" Myah and Taylor shout in unison, raising their arms up.

          And with that, Chase sets all the food out as he takes a seat by Myah. Even though their blood is different, Deagan is sitting with the three, making it look like a little family to people that would pass by. A little while later after almost all of the food has been consumed by the four, Chase stands up to clean.

          "You need help cleaning up?" Deagan asks wiping her mouth.

           "Nope," Chase shakes his head. "That's what I have a dishwasher for," as he picks up the empty plates and takes them.

          A few minutes later Chase walks back to the counter, Myah and Taylor back to coloring.

          "You guys wanna go to the park?" Chase asks the two little ones, both screaming. "Interested?" asking Deagan.

          "Umm yeah sure. I don't have anywhere to be," Deagan accepts the invitation.

          "Alright sounds good," as Chase disappears into his office to grab his long sleeve shirt as they walk out of the restaurant and to the street.

          Having the park right across from the restaurant can be very useful. It gives Chase the security he needs to watch the outside of the place. With Myah on Chase's shoulders, and Deagan holding Taylor's hand they cross the street. Immediately the two go into play mode, a good old-fashioned game of tag. Taylor starts, tagging Myah the moment Chase sets her down. Of course, squeals and giggles erupt as they begin chasing each other.

          "You're it daddy!" Myah laughs, touching Chase's arm then taking off running with Taylor.

          Looking over at Deagan, touching her shoulder, "you're it," he winks at her and takes off running himself.

          Deagan stands there smiling watching the directions they run in before running over to Taylor and Myah. After a few minutes, Deagan tags Taylor throwing him in a fit of giggles as he starts to run after Deagan again, laughing the whole time.

          Running over to Chase, she moves behind him, sliding her hands on Chase's back, "You can't get me, I'm hiding," Deagan laughs.

          "I can see you!" Taylor squeals laughing.

          Chase looks back at Deagan, then winks at Taylor as he reaches back and grabs Deagan's hip and pulls her over so Taylor can tag her.

          "You're it," Chase winks at Deagan after Taylor runs away.

          "Nope, you," Deagan says pushing on his chest. 

        "Come and get me daddy!" Myah yells.