Chapter 47: Low Blow

"Hey we're here," Chase says as they enter the house, Chase's parent's dog running up to greet them. Squeezing his hand tightly, Deagan can't help but feel a little nervous she hasn't seen Chase's parents in years. Knowing they were kind of pissed at Deagan for breaking his heart.

          "Relax," Chase smiles whispering kissing the back of Deagan's hand as they walk farther into the house.

          When they walk in, Myah and Taylor are with his parents. Also, Cameron is sitting there holding a baby that Deagan doesn't recognize. Chase's parents a little surprised to see her, Cameron not as surprised. Taylor and Myah run over when they see their dad. Chase picks up Taylor, Deagan Myah.

          "Mom, dad you remember Deagan. Well, we just got done moving her stuff into the house."

          "Hi," Deagan says softly as his parents don't comment.

          "Hi, hopefully, you'll stay longer this time," his mom says.

          Deagan swallows hard not saying anything, thinking that is a low blow. Directing her attention to Myah, the little girl sparking up a conversation with Deagan.

          "Not now," Chase says to his mom, picking up the kids bags.

          "Would you like to meet mine and Mike's daughter?" Cameron asks walking over to Deagan.

          "Oh wow, yeah. What's her name?"

          "Layla," Cameron smiles, a beautiful African American baby in his arms.

          "She's beautiful Cam," Deagan smiles.

          "Thank you. I didn't think I'd ever be a dad, but here I am," Cameron smiles.

          "It suits you well," Deagan says running her hand over her small head. "How old is she?"

          "Only a few months," Cameron says as Chase sets Taylor back down on the floor, taking Layla out of his arms carefully.

          "Do you miss your kids being that little?" Deagan asks setting Myah down.

          "Oh yeah, big time. I loved when they were tiny."

           Deagan smiles watching Chase with his niece. They hang out a little bit, Chase's mom eventually apologizing before they make their way back to the house. 

          Arriving back at the house, Taylor, and Myah running in and immediately start playing. Chase is holding Deagan's hand when they walk in.

          "Well that was eventful," Deagan smiles. "But I can also understand why your mom said that."

          "Yeah, I had to figure that would happen," Chase smiles as Deagan leans over and kisses his cheek.

           "Are you my new mommy?" Myah asks after running into the living room.

          Kneeling down to Myah's eye level, "No honey. But even if I were, I wouldn't be your new mommy necessarily. Your real mommy is always right here," pointing to Myah's heart. "And she watches over you and your brother all the time and even your daddy."

           "Okay," she smiles giving Deagan a big hug, before running back upstairs.

          "I handled that right right?"

          "Yes very well," Chase says leaning in and kissing her. "I love you."

         "I love you too."

          Later that evening after Chase cleans up the kitchen after dinner he heads upstairs only to find Deagan, Myah and Taylor passed out in his bed. He smiles seeing both kids on his side and Deagan on his wife's side. A book in the middle of them, still open. Picking up the book and setting it on the nightstand, he moves the kids to the center before laying on his side. The last thing on his mind being Deagan and how much has changed.