02| Blue flames

"Harry" Ron said. "Diana" Hermione said. The two kids were starting to wake up from their unconscious state. "Harry, Diana, are you alright?" Hermione asked. Harry nodded slightly. Ron handed Harry his glasses. Hermione opened her mouth to ask if Diana was okay, but Lupin spoke up first.

"Here, eat this, both of you. It'll help".

Harry took the chocolate from his hand but didn't eat it. While Diana was more or less invisible. "What was that thing that came?" Harry asked while rubbing his eyes and fixing his glasses.

"It was a dementor. One of the guards from Azkaban. It's gone now, left after it attacked you two. It's gone to search the train for Sirius Black" Lupin answered.

He then set the rest of the chocolate bar on the seat and stood up. "If you'll excuse me, I need to have a little word with the driver" he told the four children sitting there.

He turned right as he was about to close the door. "Eat. You'll feel better" Lupin said with a slight smile. He then walked away.

Harry broke off half the chocolate and handed it to Diana. "Were you never taught that you shouldn't take candy from strangers" Diana said as she pushed his hand away.

Harry nodded slowly and then took a bite from the chocolate. Diana rolled her eyes in response but luckily the trio hadn't seen her do it."What happened to me?" Harry asked. "Well, you sort of went... rigid. We thought you two 'ought to be having a fit or something" Ron said.

"Together? The two of us 'ought to be having a fit, together? Seriously?" Diana mumbled. Hermione shrugged, "we didn't know".

"So Bennett and I... did either of you pass out?" Harry asked. Ron shook his head. "No... but I felt weird, as if I'd never be cheerful again" he told Harry.

"Ronald, you are cheerful the second you have any kind of food shoved in your mouth" Hermione told him.

Ron looked as if he were about to snap back at her when Harry said something first, "but someone was screaming. A woman". Diana was about to say she heard a scream as well but Hermione didn't give her the chance to, "no one was screaming, Harry".

Harry turned to Diana, who had already begun reading again. Ron gave Harry a look and his glance turned towards Diana but Harry shook his head slightly and Ron stopped staring at her and turned his attention to his rat, which had been hiding in Ron's coat pocket throughout the entire experience.

~~~

Everyone had already been seated at their house tables and Dumbledore began with his welcoming speech. "Welcome. Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become to befuddled by our excellent feast" Dumbledore began.

"First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin. Who will be filling the post as your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher". Everyone began clapping at Lupin's introduction.

Diana had assumed that was the position that Lupin would be at Hogwarts. After all they need a new DADA teacher every term. It's become the cursed job, as most students call it.

"Of course. That's why he knew to give you the chocolate, Harry" Hermione told Harry. Harry nodded as he turned his attention back to Dumbledore but first he was called from behind him.

"Psst, Potter. Is it true you fainted?" Draco Malfoy asked Harry, one of Malfoy's friends made a brief fainting action and the two sitting across from them laughed. "I mean, you actually fainted?" Malfoy said as he held back laughter.

"Shove off Malfoy" Ron sneered and pulled Harry's sleeve so Harry's turn back around. Hermione glared at Malfoy and rolled her eyes at him. She truly despised him, and Hermione Granger didn't despise almost anyone.

"How did he of all people find out" Harry said. "Just forget about it. He's an idiot anyway, who cares" Hermione told Harry.

The three of them turned back to face Dumbledore but it so happened that Harry's gaze fell on Diana Bennett. He hadn't even noticed until Ron elbowed him, "pay attention, mate" Ron told him.

Harry shook it off and paid close attention to Dumbledore. Meanwhile Diana hadn't once thought about Harry nor did she acknowledge him staring at her moments prior.

After the opening feast was over the Gryffindor's walked up to get to their common room only to find the fat lady singing.

"Fortuna Major" was repeated but the fat lady ignored the students trying to enter. She continued signing but at one point began screaming. She had been trying to shatter the glass in her hand with her voice but was only successful in shattering the kid's eardrums.

"Amazing. See I was able to break it just with my voice" the fat lady said. She had just hit the glass to break it but the Gryffindor's could care less.

"Fortuna Major" Diana said with a glare and an eyebrow raise.

"Yes, all right. Go in" the fat lady gave in after seeing the death glare planted on Diana's face."Thank you" Harry and Diana said in unison. They were both said this with sarcastic tones.

The Gryffindors started piling into the common room. They were all speaking with their friends as they almost all walked up to their dormitories. Diana on the other hand plopped down on the couch and pulled her book from her bag.

An hour or so later when Diana was certain there wasn't anyone around she pulled out her mother's grimoire and began practicing her magic. She practiced a simple spell that night, a fire spell.

"Phesmatos Incendia" Diana said as she focused on the fireplace. The fireplace lit up and Diana smiled at her success. She scanned through a few more pages until she found another easy spell. "Post Tenebras Spero Lucem" Diana said and watched as she conjured a ball of light.

This spell was useful in emergencies where light was needed but not given. Diana watched the light in her hands turn from yellow to blue. The light slowly became hotter and Diana tried putting it out but it was a blue fire ball now.

It burned her hand and she quickly did the reverse spell and watched as the blue fire faded. Diana groaned as her hand was red and hurt like hell. Diana dropped Bonnie's grimoire on the ground as she stood up abruptly.

"Oh my goodness. Diana, what happened?" Hermione asked as she ran up to Diana.

"Nothing" Diana said as she held her hand. "That most certainly is not nothing" Hermione said. "Did you put your hand in the fire? It doesn't matter. Come on, I'm asking you to the infirmary" Hermione said.

"No, it's nothing" Diana said. "Stop being so stubborn" Hermione said as she dragged Diana. "I'll be fine, seriously. Let it be" Diana said. "You are hurt, it isn't going to just go away. I'm taking you to the nurse. End of discussion" Hermione said.

Diana kicked the grimoire under the couch and hoped Hermione hadn't seen it on the ground. She couldn't have Hermione asking questions, especially when those questions could lead to supernaturals and things Diana did not want or need anyone to be involved with. To her it was simply to dangerous.