20| Cheating

"Progress?" Hermione asked the next morning during breakfast. "Is he getting any better?" Ron asked Diana. "You obviously care about him, why stay mad? Come on, Ron, this has gone on long enough" Diana said. 

Ron looked away and Hermione sighed. "Slight progress, yes. He's in the common room practicing as we speak" Diana told the red head and bushy haired girl. 

"I thought you were mad at him, why help?" Ron asked as he shoved his mouth with bacon. 

"Because A, he apologized. And B, I don't want to see him get killed by a dragon" Diana answered. "Oh please, guy's practically immortal at this point" Ron told Diana.

"Are you saying your best friend is a vampire?" Hermione asked with a slight laugh.

"Perhaps. You never know" Ron shrugged. "Vampires can't be out during the day, remember?" Hermione told him. 

"Not necessarily" Diana said as she opened a letter she received from Lizzie Saltzman. "What do you mean 'not necessarily'?! I've read about vampires and in all books it says that they can't walk in sunlight or else they burn" Hermione said rather quickly.

"Or sparkle" Ron added. 

"We live in the real world were vampires either burn or have daylight rings. We don't live in Twilight" Diana told Ron. 

"Daylight rings? What is that?" Hermione asked. "Exactly what it sounds like. Rings that are made to help vampires walk in the sun without burning to a crisp" Diana answered. 

"Do you think Snape has one? Man's paler then Edward Cullen" Ron said as he looked over at Snape.

"I regret lending you my copy of Twilight" Diana said. "Since when do you read?" Hermione asked. "I was just curious because Diana was mentioning something about how Edward was obsessed with some Bella chick" Ron shrugged. 

"You managed to make him read... What other impossible things can you do, Diana Bennett?" Hermione joked. "Hey! I heard that" Ron said, "I know" Hermione told him.

~~~

It was now the day of the first task. Diana successfully managed to teach Accio to Harry. Diana and Ron made their ways to the stands while Hermione went to wish good luck to Harry. Diana chose not to go with Hermione since she didn't want to risk seeing Rita Skeeter. 

"They are picking their dragons" Hermione told her two friends. "With Harry's luck he'll get the worst one of all" Ron said and both girls hit him in the arm. "You'll jinx it" Hermione said, "boy's practically already jinxed" Ron said and earned another hit from Hermione.

Everyone watched as the first three champions battled their dragons and got their eggs successfully. "Harry's the last one to go... I hope he does well" Ron said as the crowd waited for Harry to be announced to go.

"Please tell me you are going to make up soon" Diana said. "After this task" Ron told her. "Thank Merlin" Hermione said. "You have to tell him you fancy him right after though" Ron said and turned to Diana.

 "I do not fancy anyone" Diana said. "Whatever you say" Ron said and Hermione snickered. "I hate you both" Diana said, "No you don't. Anyways, here comes Harry now. Looking rather blank... he realizes a fire breathing dragon is about to burn him to death if he doesn't move, right?" Ron said.

"You can control fire, can't you?" Hermione asked worriedly as Harry was running around while the dragon kept shooting fire at him. "I can... but I can't, Hermione. That's cheating and I can't exactly have the entire school knowing I-" Diana began but was cut off by Hermione "that you are extraordinary? Yeah that'd be terrible".

"Oh focus on Harry" Diana said, "like you do?" Ron teased. "I will throw you down there with Harry if you keep this up" Dian told Ron and that seemed to shut him up.

Harry seemed to have casted the Accio charm and after ten seconds his broom came flying and Harry flew off trying to catch the egg. He almost grabbed it when the dragon shot fire at him and the egg. Harry flew up and out of view and the dragon managed to break free of it's chains.

"Diana" Hermione and Ron muttered in unison. "Please" they both said, Diana hesitated but then said "shout as loud as you can so no one can hear me". In that moment Hermione and Ron screamed like they were being murdered.

"Prohibere" Diana said and had a magical hold on the dragon. "Is the dragon frozen? Why isn't it chasing after him?" some people behind the trio said. 

"Okay, that's enough" Ron told Diana, Diana undid the spell and watched as the dragon flew as fast as it could after Harry. "If anything-" Diana said "If you get caught or anything I'll take the blame" Ron whispered to her. 

The crowd got dead silent once Harry and the Dragon were out of view and you couldn't hear a thing for miles. Until Hermione spotted Harry flying back and started screaming "YES! YES! YES!" over and over again until the crowd started beaming again.

He came by flying and managed to grab the egg. "He did it" Ron said slowly. "He bloody did it!" Ron shouted with much more excitement. 

"Thank god, he's lived" Diana said, "thanks to you teaching him the summoning spell" Hermione said. "And you using your magic to hold the dragon back for a few seconds so head get a head start" Ron said so only Hermione and Diana heard.

~~~

Excitement flooded the Gryffindor common room after the first task. The Weasley twins had Harry on their shoulders while Harry showed off the golden egg and the Gryffindor students cheered.

"Go on, Harry. What's the clue?" Seamus said. "Should I open it?" Harry asked and the entire room shouted "yes!". This went once one more time before Harry opened the egg and the most annoying screeching noise was heard. Harry closed the egg and the room got quiet again. 

"What kind of clue was that?" Dean asked. "All it did was burst  my eardrums" Seamus said. 

"Bloody hell is going on in here" Ron said as he walked into the common room.

"Alright everyone, back to your knitting. This is going to be awkward enough without you sods listening in. Go on, go on" Fred told everyone.

Diana made her way over to Hermione. "About time" Hermione said, "agreed" Diana responded. "I reckon you ought to be mental to put your name in the Goblet of Fire... I'm sorry for the way I acted" Ron said, "Go on. Took you long enough" Harry said.

Diana threw a pillow at Harry and sent him a glare.

 "Alright, alright. I'm sorry too, Ron. I shouldn't have snapped at you. Oh and if I had put my name in the goblet, you would have been the first to know" Harry said. 

"At least I warned you about the dragons" Ron said, not really knowing what to say. "Hagrid warned me about the dragons" Harry reminded him. "No, no, I did. Remember? I told Hermione to tell you that Seamus was told by Parvati that Dean was told that Hagrid was looking for you. Seamus never really told me anything, so it was me all along" Ron told Harry.

'What kind of logic is that?' Hermione thought to herself.

"I'm surprised neither of the girls told you. But I was worried for you all along, I figured you would have figured that out yourself" Ron said.

"Who could possibly figure that out?" Harry asked as he thought about everything Ron just told him.

"It's completely mental" Harry said, "yeah... it is" Ron said.

"Boys..." Hermione said.