~ T H I R T Y - N I N E ~

"I can see that everyone is happy today," Professor Slughorn walked into the classroom with books in hand chuckling to himself, "Wonder why that is?"

"You know what would make me happy?" Draco looked to the front of the class and pretended to listen to the day's assignment.

"Hmm?" Lilith turned to look at him.

"If you, Lilith Jones, would—"

"Don't," she waved her finger in his face, making him turn to face her, "Don't—if you propose to me during Slughorn's class, I will say no."

"Well it's too late because I'm proposing... that you get me a cup of coffee, which would energize me greatly and make me the happiest man in the world," he smirked, earning a pinch on his arm from Lilith and a nudge on his body.

"Alright, students, seeing as most of you are zoning out, it's Friday, and it's Valentine's day, I have decided to dismiss you guys early. Other teachers might not be as kind as me, so I suggest you use this time wisely and do some work, but that's rather doubtful isn't it," he chuckled, "You are dismissed."

As everyone started to walk out the classroom in a hurry, Lilith and Draco made their way to the Slytherin common room, but as they turned the corner of the corridor, Draco started walking one way while Lilith walked the other.

"Where are you going?" Lilith asked.

"Pansy wants to talk to me," he replied. Lilith moved to the side and saw that Pansy was waiting for him with her arms crossed over her chest. She gave Lilith a small smile. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, fine, always leaving me by myself," she exaggerated, throwing her hands up in the air.

"We spend everyday, every class, every morning, every lunch and dinner, and almost every night together, Jones. Is that not enough for you?"

"Whatever," she rolled her eyes at him, walking towards him and placing a kiss on his cheek, "Just go."

Draco pecked her temple before turning around and walking towards Pansy. When he got there, they seemed to be talking discretely—Draco showing Pansy something and her almost jumping as a smile spread on her face. They both turned around to see Lilith standing with one eyebrow raised in a suspicious manner. Draco rolled his eyes at her and nudged his head to the side, signaling for her to keep walking.

---

"'It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.'"

Lilith sat on the floor of the library as she finished reading the Muggle book she had started before winter break. A Tale of Two Cities.

'Great, great, great ending, Dickens,' she thought to herself, feeling devastated by the ending yet relieved at how much she had read and fallen in love with most of the characters. A truly sad yet beautiful ending. This book held everything she could want and ever hope to read: romance, sacrifice, tension, sadness, happiness, and so much more. 'Way to break my heart.'

Lilith closed the book and placed it on her folded legs, her head leaning back to touch the bookshelf behind her. She closed her eyes and let a tear fall, the salty liquid running down her cheek as she thought about how sacrificial love was, and how this book was one perfect example.

Sydney Carton and Lucie Manette. A love not reciprocated yet felt and known by both.

Sydney sacrificed his life, his future, and his potential for Lucie. And even in the end, even when he knew that Lucie did not love him and that them being together was impossible, Sydney thought of her to the end. He saw her and her family. He saw her future and how prosperous she had become. He felt nothing short of admiration for Lucie—his efforts to live up to his potential never reached but achieved through his sacrifice for her.