Chapter (8): Under Arrest

Inside the shut office, Wren was at taking a look at the pile of CVs she has to read and Emily knocked on the door interrupting her.

"Hey, the meeting room is ready now."

"Mm-hmm." She nodded and then sighed. "They will be here in about an hour."

"You okay?"

"... Truth? I have no idea."

"Is it Madeline?"

"No, no... it's just..." She closed her eyes for a sec, remembering the woman from yesterday, it can't be, can it? After all these years? Maybe she was just exhausted and the exhaustion made her hallucinate. She bumped her fists together lightly as she was recalling the woman's hidden eyes behind her dark shades. "Never mind." She waved it off. "Hey, did Dave call you?"

"No, why?" She frowned.

"Because he was with you?"

"Wait, he is back?!"

Wren's eyes grew wide and chuckled nervously. "So, the meeting room is ready, you said?" She cleared her throat and was about to get up but Emily pushed her back on the chair. "Okay I guess it... is... not."

"Dave is here? He is back in the city? And he didn't come and see me?"

"Well, he..." She stared at Emily's frustrated face then sighed. "Look, he is going to surprise you, okay? I wasn't supposed to tell you but I thought he told you that he was back in the city and I ruined his surprise."

"He was going to surprise me?" Emily's face lit up.

"Yeah?"

"Awww!" she said happily.

"Please do me a favor, if he comes here, don't tell him anything, okay? He could kill me for that and he won't hesitate to do it."

"Don't worry, Clermont."

She winked at her before leaving the office. After the meeting, Dave arrived and Wren was just heading to her office but instead of closing her office door, she leaned against the door frame, watching Dave approach Emily with the same bouquet he bought with Wren. Emily acted surprised and threw her arms around him in a hug and a kiss but Emily was whispering something to him that Wren couldn't hear. He turned to Wren with a death glare in his eyes and Wren knew that look.

"Wren!" he said sternly and she pushed herself off the door frame and entered her office, closing the door quickly behind her, but she heard Emily laugh and Dave eventually joined her.

"I'm so gonna kill you Emily before Dave could kill me." She muttered under her breath.

..............................................

"I'm thinking this one would be perfect for you." said Eva taking a look at the marron illusion neckline dress.

"I like it. Seems simple and..."

"Hot? I know. Wren will drool if she saw you wearing it."

Madeline chuckled and grazed her fingertips over the fabric. "Shouldn't we tell the others? I mean Emily and Monique. They are your bridesmaids."

"I know. We are just looking at the right stops and tomorrow if you are free, the four of us could have a girls shopping time after work."

"Works for me."

They stepped out of the store and headed to the car.

"Okay so, what's our next stop?" asked Madeline.

"Wren."

"What?"

"We are going to see Wren right now."