Chapter (52): Disgraceful

Madeline blinked twice and her eyes wandered in the room for Wren but she wasn't there. She rubbed her eyes as she dangled her feet over the side of the bed, getting up in the morning.

She went to the kitchen and saw Wren fully dressed in her formal work clothes and sipping her coffee while looking out the kitchen window.

"Hey." said Madeline leaning her head against the door frame, with a soft smile across her lips.

Wren turned from the window to Madeline, holding her coffee but smiling weakly. "Hey." She averted her eyes from Madeline by returning back to the window, sipping her last drops of coffee.

"When did you get up?" she said, making her way to Wren and Wren knew it was her cue to leave.

"An hour and a half ago." Wren sighed internally to herself and faced Madeline. "Look, I've to go now. I have a long day ahead of me so don't call."

A small wrinkle formed between Madeline's eyebrow but she nodded. "Okay."

Wren regretted what she said and decided to make the conversation easier for them. "I'll call you when I get the chance to."

"Mm-hmm." She nodded lazily with a small smile across her lips.

Madeline went to Wren to give her a kiss on the lips but Wren moved her face inches away from Madeline so that her lips could land on her cheek instead and that hurt Madeline a little.

Wren grabbed her jacket from the chair, wore it and headed outside the house without looking back at Madeline or saying another word.

Madeline stared out the window, arms crossed as Wren started taking off from the driveway with the shades covering her face.

.............................................

In the office, Wren was sitting on her chair, moving back and forth with it lightly, her head was thrown back against the chair, and her fingers played with the pen in her hand, as she stared up at the ceiling.

She was aware of her actions this morning, avoiding Madeline was her goal and she knew she hurt her in some way. This morning when Wren arrived, she also avoided Georgina like the day before. When she wanted something, she asked Emily to bring it to her instead, and Emily observed Wren's weird act and was afraid of what was going through her friend's mind.

Outside Wren's office, Georgina knew that Wren was avoiding her and knew the reason behind summoning Emily instead of her but she wanted to stay silent and not say a word about what Wren might be thinking of. To Georgina it was a mere victory for her to make Wren feel confused and regretful of something that didn't actually happen. For someone who dated Wren for a while and became her girlfriend for a long time, she's familiar with her behavior when she's upset or has something going through her mind. It was Georgina's wicked mind games.

...............................................

Madeline was nibbling on the end of her pencil as she was thinking of her next design but her mind was blank. She slammed the pencil down and started rubbing her temples, releasing a frustrated sigh.

"You doing okay right there?" asked Antony.

"I don't know. I can't think of something. It's like I lost my talent. My mind's blank and my hands can't move across the paper. It feels stiffened."

"It happens. Do you want me to bring you a cup of coffee? It could help you with the brainstorming."

"I already had two cups this morning. Coffee won't do it."

"How about a break then, Hmm?"

"I'm scared of that." She mumbled covering her face.

Antony frowned a little and placed his coffee on the desk before taking a seat beside her as she took a deep breath and stared at the wall.

"Madeline, you're stressed." he said calmly, placing a hand on her shoulder. "You're stressed not because you can't work. There's something else, am I right? Your mind's occupied with something that's keeping you from focusing. What is it?"

She leaned her back against the chair, looking down at the floor. "It's Wren. She was acting weird this morning towards me... like I did something that made her upset. She told me not to call her today because she will be busy, but I know there's something going on with her, Tony."

"Maybe she is busy. You know her more than I do. She's Wren and she's busy with her meetings. Maybe she's stressed about her work too. When was the last time you avoided someone because you were busy with something and you wanted to finish it as soon as possible? I'm pretty sure you did the exact same thing as her. Just calm down and everything will be okay. When she gets home, try to talk with her and see how her day was and by then you'll know what I mean."

"I'll give it a try. It's all I can do."

...............................................

At 10:30 PM, Wren was sitting on the bed, wearing her glasses and reading a book in her hand while Madeline was in the living room wrapping up her work for the day.

When they both went home from work, their conversation was shallow and Madeline saw the old robotic Wren again.

Madeline closed her laptop and got up from her seat, heading to the bedroom and spotted Wren engrossed in the book she was reading and decided to do something to get Wren's attention.

She walked to Wren's side of the bed and climbed on her lap, biting her lower lip and Wren glanced at her from the top of her glasses with unexpressed face.

Madeline grabbed the book from Wren's hand slowly, smiling seductively at her. She placed the book on the nightstand and Wren knew the look behind Madeline's flirtatious smile but she was filled with guilt and disgrace.

"I missed you." said Madeline wrapping her arms around her neck and inching closer.

Wren's hands laid on Madeline's waist, her eyes gazed at Madeline's behind the glasses.

Madeline placed her lips on Wren's cheek and moved them a bit down to her jawline, giving it a light bite and Wren closed her eyes at the sensation when she felt Madeline's hand go underneath her shirt, lifting it up a little, caressing her abdomen. Her lips met Madeline's for a soft kiss at first then it heated between them and got deep.

Wren pulled away a little and held Madeline's body in her arms, flipping them both to lie down on the bed and to top Madeline, but then she stopped what she was doing when she remembered her toxic deed.

Madeline opened her eyes on feeling Wren pulling away completely from her. She sighed softly and Wren ran a hand through her hair before looking back at Madeline thinking of the right word to say to her.

"Sorry. It's been a long day."

Wren pulled the blanket over her body, turned to the other side to avoid Madeline's look.

"I'm just not in the mood. I'm exhausted." said Wren with her eyes shut.

Madeline looked at Wren's back that was facing her and swallowed the lump in her throat then turned off the lights to sleep as well but she found it hard since her heart was tight in her chest and sadness filled her eyes.

Once the room was dark, Wren opened her eyes that were glassy and as much as she wanted to apologize to Madeline for avoiding her since the morning, she couldn't. She was disgracing herself for what she thinks she did, knowing that she doesn't deserve to touch Madeline with her unpurified hand and body.