Chapter (57): Throbbing Sobs, Hurtful Moans

As soon as Madeline left Wren's house, Wren went back inside quickly, grabbing her car keys and left Georgina in the house and Wren didn't care. All she cared about was going after Madeline.

Wren took her phone and began dialing Madeline as she was driving, feeling scared and nervous. Knowing her hurtful dead. She knew very well that Madeline won't answer her phone. Not after what she walked into a few minutes ago.

Madeline drove in the streets at night with tears blurring her vision and ache engulfing her heart. What her eyes saw made her wish if she was blind. She parked her car and stepped out of it, ran to the building, not stealing a glance at Wren who was behind her parking across the street.

"Madeline!" said Wren slamming the car door but Madeline ignored her and went up to her apartment, closing the door behind her. "Madeline, open up!"

Madeline's body slumped on the floor as she hugged her knees with tears streaming down her face. The more she heard Wren's voice, the more her heart got tightened inside her chest and felt like it was suffocating with chains, not able to breathe, not able to scream from the pain. It was throbbing with sobs, with hurtful moans.

"Please let me explain to you!" said Wren with a cracked voice. "It's not what you think!"

Wren felt desperate outside Madeline's apartment, she kept trying and trying to reach for Madeline through the phone or by knocking on the door. She knew Madeline could hear her but also knew that Madeline's heart was closed for the night.

She ran her hand through her hair in frustration and collapsed down on the floor, leaning her back against the door's apartment.

"Madeline," she said softly calling her name. "I'm sorry."

..............................................

A few hours later, Wren fell asleep at Madeline's doorstep from the exhaustion, but her ears caught sounds of footsteps approaching her. A tall man with a dark green coat and a black cap walked up to her and looked down at Wren.

"Miss? Miss?" She opened her eyes slowly and sat up straight, looking upward at the old man. "I'm gonna have to ask you to leave."

"What time is it?" she asked.

"It's 5:00 AM. You need to leave. You're disturbing the apartment's owner and the neighbors."

She sighed and stood up on her feet, looking back at Madeline's door and suppressed her tears once again then turned to the doorman before walking past him. Wren never knew that Madeline was looking at her from the peephole waiting her to depart. As Wren walked outside the building, Madeline went to the nearest window and hid behind a curtain to have a glimpse on Wren before she entered her car and drove away.

Half an hour later, Wren arrived outside her apartment, stepped out of her car and walked to her doorstep. Instead of entering the house, she sat on the steps, pinching the bridge of her nose from the headache and then looked at the ground sadly and silently, remembering the events that took place recently and how she ended up in this situation. She was staring head blankly at nothing as the sun started to rise and that's when the sunlight made the fallen ring glow on the dull ground and it caught Wren's watery eyes.

She frowned slightly and got up, walked to the ring, picked it up from the ground and went back to sit on the stairs. She lifted the ring a little bit up then clutched it in her hand tightly, deciding to get Madeline back no matter what.