Chapter (17): Car Trouble

At 3 O'clock, Madeline went with Eva to the cakery to choose the wedding cake and they were still trying to choose one, but Eva noticed that Madeline wasn't mentally with her on choosing the perfect cake.

"Madeline... you alright, amiga?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah! Totally... just too many delicious cakes and it's hard to pick the one for you."

"Liar." She smiled at her, knowing her best friend more than anyone. "Tell me what's up with you. Is it your family? Is it me? Do you want to postpone this for another day? I don't mind if you want to. We still have time."

"No, I wanna do this with you." Madeline closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "I'm sorry, Eva, I know how much this means to you and I keep ruining it, but, uh there's something really, really bothering me and I can't get it out of my mind."

"I'm listening. You can talk to me."

"Wren hired a new assistant and, uh, it's her ex. The same one who broke her heart in college."

"So? Wren loves you, what are you so scared of?"

Her eyebrows knitted deeply. "Because she's her ex and works for Wren." She rubbed her forehead harshly and Eva eyed her weirdly but more in concern. "What if she tries to seduce Wren or something? What if Wren wanted to get back with her? We had a small fight about it but then we had our first makeup sex... or maybe it was the second! I don't know! I never count! And I pretend that everything's fine but the truth is every time I think about it I lose it completely! I'm freaking out!" She shook her hair between her fingers to massage her scalp, feeling completely insane.

Eva grabbed both her arms and looked her in the eyes, calming her down because some eyes turned to Madeline in the store.

"Madeline, hon, breathe."

She took a deep breath, inhaling and exhaling with Eva's guidance till she calmed down.

"That's better, amiga." She squeezed her arms gently. "Madeline, you're overreacting and overthinking things. You're making a fuss about some random woman who doesn't deserve Wren's heart. She appeared out of nowhere and in one night became her assistant, but that doesn't mean that Wren would jump in her arms or anything just because she's back in her life." She smiled at her worried friend. "Wren loves you, okay? I know it because I see the way she looks at you and if I have to add to make you feel better... She looks at you in a way that Paul never looked at me with and I envy you for having someone like Wren. You love her, she loves you, end of story. No woman or creature on earth will break you apart."

Madeline smiled genuinely at her friend then threw her arms around Eva, hugging her tightly in appreciation and Eva rubbed her back gently.

Eva pulled away and pushed some hair away from Madeline's face. "Okay, the most important question... on scale from one to ten how hot is she?"

Madeline pursed her lips tightly, placing a hand on her waist. "Twelve."

"Wow, really?" Madeline nodded at her. "That much?" Eva exhaled slowly. "Phew! Okay, um, let's go to Wren and see that mujer."

Eva walked past her and Madeline frowned then turned towards her direction and headed outside the store. "What about the cake?"

"We can come back later, but right now, I'm saving my best friend's love life. Hop in."

They both got in the car and Eva inserted the keys turning on the engine.

"Here we go."

.....................................................