Chapter (53): Meeting in The Duskiness

They woke up as usual and this time Madeline was the one who was silent and took her shower alone, not following their morning routine like they used to, but Wren's heart couldn't bear the idea of leaving Madeline dismal because of her, so she made her breakfast as an apology for her late behavior.

"I'm gonna give you a ride to your mother today... if you want." said Wren pouring herself some coffee in her cup, looking out the living room window.

"Great." said Madeline, holding the cup between her palms, staring at nothing. "I'm not in the mood to drive anyway."

Wren closed her eyes and sighed softly to herself before turning back to face Madeline.

"Madeline..." Madeline looked up at Wren finally meeting her eyes. "Look, about last night, I'm sorry... but you know me when I'm tired. I didn't mean to shut you out. I have problems at work that keeps roaming in my mind all day and night and it's hard to stop these thoughts."

Madeline sighed, looking at her cup then back at Wren's eyes. "I know. We're good, Wren. Nothing to worry about."

Wren gave her a small smile then her phone rang, pulling her attention away from Madeline.

"I've to take this, but we will continue our talk, alright?"

She nodded and Wren got out of the living room answering the phone.

Madeline looked up at the ceiling for a sec then got up from her seat, getting ready to see her mom and hopefully will distract her from Wren's act.

.................................................

At the hospital, Wren and Madeline walked together through the hallway and entered the room, seeing Lena on the bed, watching something on the TV, looking bored. Lena smiled when saw her daughter with her fiancée smiling back at her lovingly.

Madeline went to her mother giving her a light hug since she was still tired and Wren did the same. They talked for a while and Wren engaged in the conversation as well but not so much since her mind was thinking about a risky decision she needs to make. As for Lena, as a mother, she noticed the tension between them and how Wren was distant from Madeline and the same for Madeline. She noticed the distance between them from the way they were sitting. Wren got a phone call from Eleanor, she gave Madeline a kiss on the top of her head then got out.

Madeline was looking at the door over her shoulder wondering what was going on with Wren but the answers were blurred. She turned back to her mother with a plastered smile on her face and that's when Lena started getting concerned.

"What's going on here?" asked Lena.

"What do you mean? There's nothing going on, mom." She chuckled lightly but Lena saw the pain beyond her daughter's eyes.

"Madeline..." she said calmly.

Madeline's eyes turned glassy a bit. "Mom, there's nothing to be concerned about. We're fine."

Lena sighed sadly and grabbed Madeline's hand in hers when she started avoiding her eyes and swallow hard.

"Then why do you look like you're not fine? Why do you look bitter? Why you and Wren are cold all of a sudden? Did you have a fight or something? Honey, I know there's something. Your eyes say it all."

Madeline looked up at her mother with watery eyes. "There's something but I don't know what it is."

"Talk to me." Lena gave her a sweet motherly smile.

"She's avoiding me. She's pushing me away. It's not her, it's not Wren. We barely talk, we barely see each other. It's like we're two living souls in the house but we're somehow... dead. The connection between us is gone. She makes me feel that I did something wrong." She wiped a tear that was about to fall down.