Chapter (46): Home

Madeline was in the shower, under the warm water, rinsing off the shampoo on her hair and stopped as she poked her head through the curtain when she heard the phone ringing.

She turned off the water and grabbed the towel, wrapped it around herself with her hair dripping wet as she looked at the ID caller.

"Hi, mom."

"Hey, sweetie. Hope I'm not interrupting something."

"No, you aren't. I was just talking a shower. So, what's up? Is everyone okay?"

"Oh, yes. Everyone's fine, but... I'm in the city and I want to see you today, maybe at lunch time. We could talk a little about the wedding or not, you know. I just miss you and want to have some fun with you. Girls hanging out and all."

She chuckled. "Yeah, of course, it would be nice seeing you, mom. Um, does 2:00 sound good?"

"Uh-huh."

"Okay we could meet up at this restaurant for Italian food. I know you love Italian."

"Alright. Text me the address then and I'll see you there at 2:00, sweetie."

"Kay. Love you, mom."

..................................................

Around 1:30 PM, Madeline was wrapping up her work before her lunch with her mom, but she also kept thinking about whether to call Wren or not. It's been two days since their argument and Wren only sent her the apology voicemail that she keeps hearing over and over again.

Antony walked in the office and blocked her view as she was staring at the opened door and she smiled at him.

"Hey." she said.

"Hey. You doing okay?"

She sighed. "I don't know. I'm debating with myself whether to call her or not."

"Still mad at her?"

She squinted her eyes and brought her thumb and index finger together indicating the amount. "A little. I keep replaying everything in my mind and I know for sure that she didn't kiss Georgina but at the same time I know that she lied to me. That's what's bothering me."

"Just take your time, Madeline. Even though I think you already had enough time alone to think things through, right?"

She gave him a small smile. "Right" She glanced at her watch, standing up, packing her things. "I've to go now, okay? I'm having lunch with my mom."

"Alright. See ya!"

A little while later, she drove to the restaurant and stopped in the parking zone. She grabbed her phone with her as she stepped out of the car. Madeline made her way to the restaurant door but halted in her tracks when she saw ambulance car by the side of the rode and paramedics were rushing to help someone that was lying on the ground and people were gathered around the scene.

The paramedics cleared the way to transport the person lying on the ground and Madeline saw a brunette woman being carried by them on the gurney and that's when the panic look came across her face.

She ran through the street and rushed by the side of the paramedics as tears filled her eyes.

..................................................

Inside the office, she drummed the pen on the paper a few times in a row, followed by the tapping of her feet on the ground. Wren sighed, closed her eyes and slammed the pen on the desk from the misery and frustration.

Emily knocked on the door and entered, handing her the folder and noticed Wren's long face.

"You okay?"