Chapter (26): The Visitor

Madeline's eyelids moved when she felt the sun rays peek through the room's window and meet her eyes. She opened her eyes slowly and looked at her side, seeing Wren soundlessly was still sleeping in her arms. Madeline moved her other hand, reaching for Wren's forehead, checking her temperature which was low now, making Madeline release a sigh of relief. She moved her arm slowly and gently from underneath Wren, leading Wren to stir a little in her sleep as she pulled the covers to her, right below her chin, but she didn't wake up. Madeline heard her phone ringing in the other room so she walked to the other room, grabbing her phone and answering the call from Eva.

"Hi, Eva, the new wife."

"Maddie! I miss you so much!"

She chuckled. "Eva it's been a few days."

"I know but I miss my bestie! How are things since I left?"

"Uh, pretty good, but at the same time everything is... normal?" Eva chuckled on the phone. "Let's talk about something better. How's your honeymoon so far, Mrs. Eva Norris?"

"Ooo! Romantic... The place is heavenly beautiful. I wish if you were here with me."

"Me too, but I can't, because it's your honeymoon and you should enjoy it with Paul. I wish you two a happy marriage life. I really do."

She walked back to the bedroom and saw Wren wake up slowly, rubbing her eyes.

"Still... maybe someday we will go to a trip together to this place you know. Like a girls trip or something and we could invite the others too."

"Hope so and I'll hold you to that."

"Alright, I'm glad I got the chance to call you but Paul is calling me now. I'm going on a little cruise today. Adios!"

She chuckled. "Adios."

She hung up and walked to Wren, sitting beside her on the bed. She leaned down, placing her lips on her forehead, letting them linger there for a moment before pulling away and stroking her face.

"Morning, patient. How're you feeling today?" she asked softly, caressing her hair.

"Better than two nights ago." She smiled weakly. "I had a very excellent nurse, taking care of me all night and I'm sure she deserves some rest because she didn't close her eyes to have some sleep."

"I did sleep."

She shook her head. "No, you didn't. I felt every moment when you kept waking up past midnight to check on me. I'm sure you didn't get much sleep."

"How could I sleep knowing that you were burning up on the bed all night? I knew there was a progress. Your temperature gets down and all but still."

Wren smiled at her and grabbed Madeline's hand, squeezing it lightly. "I'm fine now. I might be able to go to work tomorrow. Today will be my last rest day."

She flashed her a smile and squeezed her hand back. "Umm, I'm gonna make you breakfast and don't object because you need food to bring back your strength, okay?"

"Mm-hmm" She nodded with a smile and Madeline kissed her forehead one last time before leaving the room.

..............................................

Wren had her breakfast with Madeline and let her feed her from time to time when she started working a bit from the laptop. Madeline was relieved to see that her girlfriend was back. Hard working as ever. Madeline was doing the dishes as Wren changed her clothes into a warm grey hoodie and black sweat pants. She went to the kitchen and leaned against the doorframe as she watched Madeline dry her hands then tuck a strand of hair behind her ear.