Chapter (54): Cold Night, Warm Heart

It's been four days since Wren's encounter with Georgina that made her heart as hard as stone, as cold as ice and Madeline noticed. Every time Madeline tries to make Wren open up about what's been bothering her lately, Wren blocks her away reasoning that she was tired or busy or not in the mood to talk about anything.

Each morning in the past four days, Wren made sure that she woke up before Madeline and went to her work and comes late at night after spending most of her time in her office avoiding two persons; Madeline and Georgina.

Georgina zipped her lips and never talked about what she lied about to Wren but she sensed Wren's cold, bossy attitude towards her and every one including Emily.

Madeline called Eva on the phone and decided to meet up at their usual café since she needed someone to talk to. Eva and Madeline ordered their drinks and had a casual talk at first then Eva sensed her friend's mood.

"Okay, what's wrong now? You said it was urgent and here we are. You got me worried, Madeline? Is everything okay?"

Madeline sighed looking down at the table then raised her eyes on Eva. "It's Wren."

"What about her?"

"She's been avoiding me... she leaves for work early... she comes late at night, she's busy all the time, she's barely making time for me." She scoffed. "She doesn't even kiss me. Every time I do those things that could make her happy, Wren stops or avoids me in somehow, Eva! I don't know what's wrong with her!" She was speaking with a cracked voice and as a result, Eva got up from her seat and sat next to Madeline comforting her by running her hand up and down her back.

"I keep questioning myself if I made something that made her in this way but I don't know what it could be."

"Madeline please calm down, okay?" She held her hand. "You know how Wren is, she's a moody person, she's busy and... she loves you for sure. Just because she's avoiding you now that doesn't mean she doesn't love you. Have you tried talking to her about it?"

Madeline looked at her coffee mug. "I couldn't. She doesn't spend her time at home. Always in her office. Working."

"Then you better find a time for both of you and settle things down. You two need to talk about this. You must confront her, Madeline, and put an end to this... for you and for her. Because it's hurting you."

................................................

Leaned against her large window in her office with a glass of whiskey, scanning the city in the night, Wren saw Georgina walking to her car and got in it then took off afterwards.

Wren sipped the last drops of the bitter liquid then took her jacket and left the office and the company. The guilt was building up inside her since the night Georgina told her about what happened in New York. As much as Wren didn't want to believe her words, she couldn't because at the same time she knew that it could be true since drinking always caused her trouble in her life.

She parked the car in her driveway and got out, walked to the door and headed to the bedroom, spotting Madeline in her deep sleep. She went to the side of the bed, sat down, staring at Madeline lovingly. Softly, she moved her hand smoothly over Madeline's face. Smiling sadly, she released a light sigh of guilt when she saw Madeline's damp eyes from the dry tears.

"I'm so sorry." she whispered.

..............................................

The night started to become colder and colder as the time passed slowly for Wren. She was trying to sleep but remembering the tears that fell from Madeline's eyes made her awake. She knew she was torturing Madeline emotionally, but she found it easier to avoid her than face her with the truth. The last thing she wanted to do is hurt Madeline in anyway but now she realized that either ways she was hurting her.

Wren had her back facing Madeline in their sleep. She did not dare to look at her at all, and suddenly she felt an arm being wrapped around her.

She closed her eyes for a few seconds then looked over her shoulder and saw the small crease that was forming between Madeline's forehead indicating that she was having a bad dream and her body was trembling slightly.

Wren turned around with her body and moved closer to Madeline, engulfing her in her arms and placed her lips against her forehead, and slowly the crease faded. Madeline undoubtedly wrapped her arms around Wren's waist, clutching the back of her shirt. She fluttered her eyes open and felt the warmth that she missed for a long time as Wren kept rubbing her back slowly and her lips were on her forehead, planting a soft kiss. She heard Wren speak calmly, apologizing with sadness in her tone.

"I'm sorry, Madeline... I love you so much."

Madeline buried her face in the crook of her neck, clutching onto her shirt, fighting back the tears that were threatening to fall.