In The Right Place but Wrong Time (Bdoc)

Based on a prompt I saw on TikTok 

Up on his tip-toes, Bdubs carefully pulled out a moss-green book with golden decoration on the spine. Placing his heels back on the old wooden floor, he blew the dust off the book, wiping away the remaining bits with his hand. He was told by his college professor this library from the 1800s would have exactly what he was looking for in regards to his project. He carefully opened the old book, the smell of the paper swirling through his nose and pulling a smile on his face. He skimmed through, making sure this was the book he was looking for. Once he was sure, he closed it, a small puff of dust slipped out and he placed it on the small table behind him so he could continue to search for other sources.

The freckled brunette had heard the creaking floorboards, signaling there was someone else roaming the library, but he thought nothing of it. It is a public library after all, no matter how old it is.

But as he took a side step, continuing to scan the muted-colored books aged with time, the footsteps grew closer.

Before he could react, a pair of well-built and warm arms gave him a surprisingly comfortable side hug. Normally in this kind of situation Bdubs would pull away and run in the opposite direction, but this was... familiar. In the strangest way. "I'm so sorry, love. I'll never leave you like that again," the person whispered, his voice cracking.

Bdubs let out an awkward laugh and gave the stranger's arm a little pat. "Um, sir I think you have the wrong person," he pointed out.

The hybrid quickly pulled away and stepped back. Because of how he contorted his face, it looked like he was about to cry. "O-Oh, uh, s-sorry," he stammered, covering his mouth with the back of his arm. The tall brunette looked away and hissed a curse under their breath.

Bdubs had to do a double-take because he could've sworn the stranger said the words, "wrong timeline", but that didn't make any sense.

"What was that?" he asked, tilting his head. Yeah, he definitely must've heard wrong.

The dark brunette blinked at him, dropping his arm. "I-It- nothing, it's not important," he glanced at the watch on his wrist and swallowed. "Um, again, sorry, just- it's best if you forget about me."

Bdubs furrowed his eyebrows. "What? Wait, it's okay, just- is- my name is Bdubs, are you alright?" he took a step forward but the other person just took a step back.

"Um, nice to meet you but ah," he glanced at his watch yet again. "I'm um late to an event, so I'll leave you be."

"Oh, uh, okay!" He wanted to add something else, but the mysterious hybrid quickly hurried away.

-

Well, that was... interesting. Bdubs thought as he brought his three books up to the counter. As he handed over his library card, he simply brushed it off. After all, he lived in a big city, he was bound to meet strange people.

-

Doc blinked, the flash of light dying as he looked around. This time he's gotta be in the right timeline, right? He thought back to the other Bdubs, the one who apparently hadn't met his Doc. Or his Doc simply doesn't exist. He bitterly thought, entering the old library. Unlike back at the other version, he actually recognized this librarian.

Once again he wandered the aisles, letting out a sigh of relief when a pair of familiar eyes met his. Unlike the last Bdubs, these green and brown eyes were dulled from exhaustion and pain. "I'm sorry," Doc whispered before pulling him into a hug, one hand gripping the back of his shirt, the other buried in his light brown hair.

"Please don't leave like that again," the shorter mumbled, squeezing his waist as he buried his face in his chest. "I know you can reach an infinite amount of 'mes', but I only have you."

Doc held him tighter. "You are the only Bdubs for me," he murmured, kissing the top of his head and nestling his face in his hair. "And that's a promise."