Did You Know? (Bdubs + Doc)

Nothing like a little rain to inspire some angst :)

-

Doc's favorite thing to do on a rainy day was to sit with a cup of tea and listen to the peaceful sounds of water dripping onto the roof and the pavement outside his house.

It was especially nice because it was a heavy shower, but not a thunderstorm. If he were to look outside, occasionally he'd be able to see a flicker of sunlight peeking through the dark clouds.

Yet his enjoyment was abruptly interrupted by a knock at the door.

Confused as to why someone was randomly visiting him, he left his half-empty mug and opened the door.

Standing before him, drenched in rain with droplets falling from the ends of his hair was his neighbor. Bdubs' nose and eyes were red, a small frown on his lips. He had abandoned his hoodie which only made Doc more concerned. Although in his friend's defense, it was a sunny day mere hours ago.

"Did you know?" Was all Bdubs asked to break the silence.

As much as he was staring with concern, Doc's heart still skipped a beat at the sight of him. "What do you mean?" He softly asked.

"Was it that obvious?" Bdubs continued. "Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you warn me?"

"Bdubs I- I don't know what you're talking about. And you're soaked, come on, step inside," he urged, gesturing him further in but his neighbor was cemented in his spot.

"Did you know?" He asked again.

Before he could repeat that he still had no clue what he meant, Bdubs opened his mouth again. Only this time, he couldn't get out another word. His bottom lip was quivering, his nose scrunched up. It then occurred to Doc that some stains on his face weren't from the weather, but rather his tears.

"He-" That was all he could manage before his voice cracked.

And it clicked.

"No, Bdubs he didn't," he sighed, leaning against the door.

Pursing his lips in a futile attempt to stop the trembling, he nodded.

His breakdown was beginning to infect him but he ignored it. Instead, he reached forward, pulling Bdubs into the warmth of his house and a hug. It didn't matter that the front of his shirt was immediately drenched, he closed the front door and was ready to hold him for the rest of the day.

He could still see a frustrated expression painted on his freckled face. "Did you know it was going to happen? Did you already know what he was really like? Why didn't you tell me? Why didn't you stop me? Stop him?"

His heart ached to hear Bdubs melt into a confused, sobbing mess.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. He held him tighter, hoping no one was paying attention to the rapid beat of his heart. "I didn't know for sure, and I wasn't sure you'd believe me. It's not like I had any proof. But I should've told you anyway. I should've tried. I'm sorry." When Bdubs dug his hands into the back of his shirt, he swallowed.

Doc felt guilty for not saying something sooner. He felt guilty for feeling butterflies from the way his crush was holding him in his moments of despair.

And when Bdubs broke into a sudden sob, his stomach dropped. He held the back of his head, squeezing him tight against him.

With a few deep yet shaky breaths, his friend finally began to calm down. "Even though I know now, I know it's not true, I still- I still believe him. It's- everything he said I can't just-" He sighed as he pressed his cheek against Doc's chest.

Concerned bubbling to the brim, he held onto his shoulders as he gently pushed him back. "What did he tell you?"

Once again his question was ignored as Bdubs stared down, his eyes far away. "What did I do to make myself worth your time?" He quietly asked.

"Bdubs, look at me," he pleaded, squeezing his shoulders. Although he hesitated, his friend lifted his head to meet his eyes. "You didn't have to do anything. You're always worth my time. Okay? And you'll never have to do anything besides just- existing."

Even though he nodded, the way his lips were pursed and he looked beyond Doc, the hybrid knew he didn't believe him.

"I mean it. I wouldn't lie about something like this."

This time when he nodded, there was a hint of a small smile, which helped relieve him of his worry. Relaxing his grip, he brushed hairs that were stuck to his face out of the way. "Do you want some tea? Water?" He offered.

Much to his dismay, Bdubs shook his head. "I think I'm just going to head home. Thank you for- talking with me. Sorry for showing up unannounced."

"Never apologize. I'm here whenever you need me." As much as he didn't want to, he let go of him, as much as he wanted to hold him close forever. Turning to his coat hanger, his fingers danced around until he found his sweater and he offered it.

Bdubs held up a hand. "I'm only going next door, I'll be fine, I don't want to be an-"

Exhaling through his nose, he draped the sweater around him, pulling the hood up. "Just take it, Bee." He cracked a smile before stepping back.

When Bdubs pulled his arms through the sleeves and red began peeking through his cheeks, his smile grew wider.

"Thank you."

-

Truthfully, Bdubs did feel better, especially after a warm shower.

It still hurt, it hurt a lot, but he felt better.

He also felt exhausted, though mainly emotionally.

So he collapsed atop his bed, but not before putting Doc's sweater back on. He cocooned himself in the comfy fabric. Bdubs closed his eyes and took a deep breath. It felt like he was still being held, and if he tried hard enough, he could pretend he was taking a nap in the hybrid's embrace.

And he dared to dream of that coming true one day. 

-

I cut all the context lmao cry about it like Bdubs