Wait For It (Iskall/Bdoc)

Oh wow. Angst that involves Bdubs but doesn't hurt him? This is a first for me. Also enby Iskall, Highschool AU and unhappy ending

Didn't really proof-read this one, and probably could've put more effort into it, but then again, this was written at 2AM

 Iskall sat on their front steps, head in hand as they stared at the flower in their other hand. Sighing, they twirled the poppy in their hand as their mind began to drift.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" a sweet, bubbly voice pulled them back in. Looking up, Iskall fell back on their steps as their friend Bdubs was leaning down, his face right in theirs.

"N-Not much," they awkwardly laughed. Scooching over, the freckled male plopped down next to them. The brunette enby blushed at how close the two of them were, despite the fact they almost always talked like this.

"Hey, Iskall? Can I ask you a random question?" Bdubs braced his hands behind him, leaning back on the steps.

"Go for it," they placed the red flower next to them, hoping he didn't see it.

"Have you ever thought about getting into a relationship?"

Iskall practically choked on their non-existent drink. Their brain immediately pulled up every instance - including earlier - where they daydreamed of going on dates with Bdubs.

"I guess? I mean, I would like to eventually. W-Why do you ask?"

The tan boy sighed, pushing back his hair.

"It's just- don't you notice how everyone at school is suddenly in a relationship? I feel like there is this unspoken pressure to find one myself. But then again, if someone were to ask me out, I feel like I'd still say no. Is that weird?"

Iskall's heart cracked and they could feel pieces chipping away, falling into an empty pit.

"I wouldn't say that's weird," they rested their arms on their legs, looking away. "I get it though; feeling as if you have to be in a relationship. But no one can make you,"

They glanced over to Bdubs, who was smiling at them.

"Thanks, Iskall," he gave them a big hug, which made their heart flutter.

When Bdubs left, Iskall decided to wait. Wait until their friend was ready to date, and then sweep him off his feet. Of course, they didn't know how long they would have to wait, but no matter how long it would be worth it.

Then a year later, their heart shattered into a million pieces, unsure if it could ever be repaired again.

They waited too long.

Doc and Bdubs always fought with each other. How was Iskall supposed to know they actually liked one another? Maybe they shouldn't have encouraged Bdubs to confess when they found out. Maybe instead, Iskall should've said something.

But they didn't.

They watched from the school entrance as Bdubs ran past them, flinging himself at his boyfriend. They watched with an aching chest as the love of their life kissed a different person. A part of Iskall was happy for their friend. He found someone he truly loved.

They only wished that someone was them.