Returning the Ring (Bdoc)

Bdubs bit back tears as he clutched the box in his sweater pocket. The walk back to the jeweler felt so long he wasn't sure if he could make it before breaking down into tears again.

He and his boyfriend Doc had known each other since high school and even went to college together. They've been dating since senior year of high school, and he had assumed that after being together for around seven years that proposing would've been easy.

That the outcome would've gone as he'd liked.

But alas, Doc had to ruin everything.

As the store drew nearer, another wave of emotions crashed over Bdubs. This is so embarrassing. He whined to himself, running a hand through his hair. Thanks a lot, Doc you asshole. The short brunette thought bitterly. I had this entire proposal planned out for two weeks and you just had to mess everything up. Just thinking about last night again made him sniffle.

And then Doc just had to call him.

"What's up?" he asked, trying to sound cheerful.

"Have you finished dropping off the ring yet?" the hybrid asked in a monotone voice.

"No, not yet," he admitted. "How impatient are you?" Bdubs added in a snappy tone.

"I just really want you to come back already," the taller male mumbled.

"You know I still think you're an asshole, right?" he huffed, Doc only chuckling in response. "Anyways, I'm at the jewelers so I gotta go." The tan male hung up before he could get a response and opened the door.

"Hey, you're back!" the man behind the counter smiled as Bdubs approached him. Thankfully, there wasn't anyone else in the store so he didn't have to worry about humiliating himself.

"I've come to return this," he admitted, placing the box and receipt on the glass counter with a weary smile.

"Does it not fit?" the bald man asked, opening the box.

Feeling his face grow warm, he just stared at his feet. "It's ah, not that. It was the whole asking part that didn't really work," he quietly explained.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said quietly, placing the ring aside.

Bdubs' mind began to drift back to last night and he could feel his heart racing.

"Listen, Doc, there's something I want to talk to you about," the shorter boyfriend fiddled with the box in his lap where Doc couldn't see. He was thankful there were only two other couples at the restaurant, both on the opposite side so hopefully, this wouldn't draw too much attention. Just slide the box across, that's all you need to do. He told himself.

"Actually," the hybrid ran a hand through his hair, glancing out the window. "I got something to say to you too,"

Bdubs wanted to go first, to get it over with, but he chickened out. "You go first," he smiled, clutching the box.

The darker brunette took a deep breath and shifted his gaze to his boyfriend. "I gotta say what's on my mind..."

Once everything was all set, Bdubs left the store. He ended up giving in and explaining everything to the jeweler, who was more than happy to listen to his story. As he walked back, he wiped his eyes, refusing to cry again.

"Welcome back," Doc said as he entered the house. "You still mad at me?"

The short brunette leaned his head against the hybrid's chest, tears threatening to escape. "Yeah, I'm still mad at you. You ruined everything," he whined.

Laughing, the taller male took his hand and held it up to his face, kissing his palm. "You were the one who first asked me out, I figured it was fair enough that I proposed. Besides, how was I supposed to know you were going to?"

Bdubs turned away, pouting as he blushed. He mumbled nonsense in response until he felt an arm wrap around his waist. Doc kissed the back of his hand, then the ring on his finger.

"Look at us, already fighting like a married couple," he teased.

Turning around to face his fiance, the tan brunette cracked a smile. "Whatever," he muttered, leaning up to kiss him.

"Love you DoubleO," Doc whispered, giving him a tight hug.

"Love you too, Gorgeous" Bdubs smiled, before kissing him again.