My Light in the Dark (Jleo)

So technically it's a real-life au (with minesonas) but also a zombie apocalypse! I was just trying to get classwork done today and thought; Joe and Cleo in a zombie apocalypse, but also make it Halloween! Mayhaps one of these days I may (rotten) flesh out this story and make it it's own thing, but it all depends on my laziness! :D

His heart pounded in his ears as he clenched his grip on the ax. It along with his clothes were stained with black blood. He watched as the last of the sunlight disappeared on the horizon. The sound of bare feet sliding across the pavement and low growling came from behind the wall he was pressing up against. You've done this a thousand times, you can do this. He assured himself. Inhaling sharply he whipped around the corner, narrowing his eyes as he came face to face with a zombie. He swung the ax right at its neck, chopping the head clean off. The decapitated zombie dropped to its knees and fell in front of the boy.

Looking up, he watched a female zombie with red hair clobber another zombie with the hilt of her sword. Once it collapsed she stabbed it in the back and looked over to him. As their eyes met, she smiled, sending a warm feeling throughout his body. Picking up a couple of grocery bags, she jogged over to him.

"I honestly still feel a little bad for killing these guys," the brunette boy admitted, readjusting his glasses.

"I know, but what can we do? They're hostile so we can't just ignore them," the female zombie sighed and handed one of the bags over to him. "C'mon Joe, we should get out of here before it becomes any more dangerous." She sheathed her sword on her back and once he had done the same with his ax, she took his hand.

As the two sat on the roof of the small, abandoned store, Joe hugged his knees as he stared at the moon.

"I think it's October 31st," Cleo quietly realized.

He glanced over to her, a sad smile forming on his face. "Happy Halloween,"

Scooting closer, she squeezed his hand. "I can't believe it's already been a year." Looking around the city, she could barely make it out. It was hard to believe that this time last year, the whole city was lit up, the occasional building dawning oranges and purples to celebrate the spooky holiday. Now there were maybe one or two tiny lights, either by fellow survivors or bulbs that haven't been broken.

"How much longer do you think this will go on?" He asked. "I don't know if I can last another whole year." He rubbed the corner of his eye and leaned against the girl. Joe couldn't help but think of the friends he lost. He refused to believe they were all gone, but he knew he'd never see Cub again. I've got to stay alive, else it would've been for nothing. He reminded himself for the third time that day.

Noticing how upset he was, Cleo stood up, pulling him to his feet as well. "At least we have each other, right? I'm sure we'll find other survivors like you really soon, and that scientists are almost done with the cure," she assured him.

"You're a survivor too," he reminded her, pushing hair out of her eyes. Her smile slipped, but her grip on his hands tightened.

"I don't think I count," she mumbled.

"But you do," Joe pressed their foreheads together. "You're not contagious and have been a zombie long before the outbreak. Not to mention you still have a brain and a pretty darn good one at that,"

She could feel her face grow warm and giggled. "I'm glad you think so." He moved his hands to her waist and slowly began to dance. The zombie followed his lead and tried to be mindful of his feet. Her arms wrapped around his neck, her head resting on his shoulder.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Cleo," he mumbled, leaning his head against hers.

"I'm glad I met you too," Cleo smiled, pulling her head away to properly look at him.

Before he knew what he was doing, the brunette boy had closed the gap between them.

"Thank you for being my light during these dark days," he said softly once they finally broke the soft kiss.

"Little cheesy but you're welcome," she teased before kissing him again.