On the Crosswalk, I Found You Again (Bdoc)

It was raining.

But not raining so hard that he needed an umbrella, just the hood on his green sweater was fine enough.

However, it was also fairly foggy.

So Bdubs wasn't able to see clearly who was waiting on the other side of the street.

The green walk sign lit up and he began to cross with the small crowd.

A gust of wind blew droplets into his face and the hood off his head.

Wiping the rain from his cheek, he glanced up.

Standing beside him, but moving in the opposite direction was a tall creeper with a half-robotic face.

Bdubs stared at Doc, bewildered that he'd be standing there, in the same city, of all places, after so much time.

They continued to stare at each other, even as the people around them continued to walk.

It felt as though time itself slowed in favor of them relishing in each other's presence for a little longer.

It had been so long, after all.

He wanted to speak, say anything.

But all possible phrases died on his tongue.

What could he say?

A simple 'hi' may work.

Or 'sorry'.

If he was truly crazy, he could confess all over again with 'I love you'.

But that would most likely scare Doc off all over again.

He looked so different, yet exactly like how Bdubs remembered him.

Neat brown hair. A white button-up without a crease in sight over a black turtleneck, and cuffed navy blue trousers. A long, dark gray trench coat to top it all off.

However, time couldn't freeze forever for the pair.

The walk sign timer continued to tick down.

Fifteen seconds.

Neither spoke a word.

Twelve seconds.

Suddenly, Doc held out a hand. His face was blank but his eyes had hope.

The temptation to take it had a chokehold on Bdubs.

Where would they even go?

What more was there to say?

Eight seconds.

It seemed like the weather itself was growing impatient as the rain began falling faster and harder, a gust of wind pushing against Bdubs' side.

Five seconds.

A smile spread across his lips.

Going home could wait a little longer.

Gently he touched the palm of Doc's organic hand. It was slightly wet from the rain. But it was warm, calloused, and gave Bdubs a sense of comfort.

Something he had missed for a while.

His fingers laced with his, and as the timer ticked down they silently left the crosswalk, heading back the way Bdubs had come from.

"I'm sorry," Doc finally whispered.

He stared up at him, unable to answer.

"We should probably get out of the rain," he continued, looking ahead at the buildings beyond.

Bdubs desperately wanted to ask 'why'.

Why did Doc want to walk with him? Talk with him?

Was this his way of allowing him back into his life?

The hybrid pulled him to a small, closed cafe where they stood under the overhang.

"Where are we going?" Was all he could manage to quietly say.

Doc gazed down at him with the warmest smile Bdubs had seen in a while. "Wherever you want. I've realized that- that I want to go everywhere with you."

He exhaled a light laugh of disbelief. Bdubs never thought he would hear him say something so... cheesy.

"I'm serious, Bdubs. I- When I- leaving you behind like that was the worst mistake of my life," he insisted, squeezing his hand. "And when I saw you just now I- well it made me realize that I don't want to be a coward anymore."

Seeing as impulsive decisions had become a theme of that late afternoon, Bdubs reached his free hand up to hold his cheek and guide him down.

Doc eagerly met his lips, his hand pulling him close.

"You're not a coward, Doc," Bdubs murmured when they slowly parted. "It was stupid of me to spring a confession on you out of the blue and expect a reply," he assured him.

"Bdubs I love you, so don't-"

He kissed him again and Doc tightly hugged him.

There was so much more to say.

Maybe they wouldn't cover it all that night.

But they weren't in any particular rush.