three

Y/N POV~
You opened your eyes, struggling to adjust to the bright lights above you. You were confused, a throbbing pain in your left leg and your head. What happened? Where were you? A lab in Hydra would never be this white.

You heard muttering from nearby, and slowly turned your head. A dark haired woman was talking to a tall, blonde haired man. You leaned closer, trying to hear what they were talking about when your hand caught on something.
"Ah!" You exclaimed, embarrassed that you drew attention to yourself.

Almost immediately they both turned their heads to you, stopping their conversation.
"You're awake!" The blonde man said.
"Where am I?" You asked, your voice croaky and hoarse. You tried to sit up, but you couldn't find the strength.

The blonde man walked over to you. "You're at the Avengers tower. Don't worry, Hydra isn't here anymore. You're safe here. I'm Steve." His voice was reassuring and calm.
"I'm- I'm-" You tried to introduce yourself, but you didn't know what to say.
"You don't remember?" Steve asked calmly, and you swallowed as you nodded. He tapped his foot for a second, as if contemplating. "How about Y/N?"

You smiled. You had always been known by stupid numbers and strange codenames. It felt good to have a name that made you stand out, that made you feel like a real human being rather than just a test subject.
" I like that." Steve smiled, patting you on the shoulder.

Just then the door opened, and a man with collarbone length brown hair and an arm made completely out of metal walked through.
"Hey Steve I was just-" He paused, staring straight at you. He tilted his head to the side, his face softening slightly. "You're awake."
"How do you know me? I'm still more than a little confused about everything." You were starting to worry. How could you be really sure this wasn't another one of Hydra's tricks?

Steve walked over to you again. "Calm down
Y/N. Everything's okay. This is Bucky, he's the one who found you at the Hydra base. We destroyed it, and all of the Hydra agents. And that's when we found you." Bucky gave you a small smile.
"T-Thank you, I guess." You couldn't quite comprehend the situation. Were you truly free? After years of torture and pain at the hands of Hydra, you were finally free to be my own person. You didn't know what to do with yourself.

The other woman in the room spoke for the first time. You hadn't realised she had walked so close to you. "Hi Y/N. I'm Dr Cho. Your vitals look good, so if you're happy using crutches because of your leg for the rest of the day, you can leave if you wish."

You nodded slightly. All you needed was some time alone to think over everything that had just happened, and your head already hurt. Dr Cho disconnected you from the various wires keeping track of your heart rate and other vitals, and handed you a pair of crutches. Gently placing weight on your left foot, you winced.

"It isn't broken, just a deep cut. You'll be able to get rid of the crutches tomorrow if you can walk," Dr Cho explained and you nodded. You followed Steve and Bucky out of the door, and were immediately met by a woman with short red hair.

"Hey Steve, Bucky. Who's this?" She leant forward to see you.
"Natasha, this is Y/N. Y/N this is Natasha, one of our Avengers." Steve explained, and she gave you a friendly smile.
"Y/N was a victim of Hydra." Bucky's voice was harsh, and almost sad. He was so mysterious to you, and just left you wanting to find out more.
"Well, may I do the honour of showing her around the tower?" Natasha asked.
"Sure," Steve replied, and you smiled. Natasha seemed very kind and very welcoming, and you were hoping she'd help you start your new life.

Steve and Bucky said their goodbyes, leaving down the hallway. Natasha changed her pace to keep up with your slower one.
"So, how long do you think you'll be staying here?" She tried to start conversation. You felt bad, not knowing how to interact with people very well or make small talk. This morning, you  didn't even know your own name.
"Uh, I'm not sure. I'm not sure of anything at the moment." You tried to prevent your voice from coming out shaky, but it was hard when you had so much to think about, and so much you still didn't know.
"Well, we can help you with that of course." She stopped in front of a door.
"We?" You asked, and she nodded.
"The other Avengers. But I'll let you meet them tomorrow. For now, you should rest and enjoy a good nights sleep in a proper bed. Here's your room." She opened the door and you walked into a small, tidy room. A small bookshelf lay next to the biggest bed you'd ever seen. There was a small bathroom that connected to the side.
"Thanks Natasha," you said, grateful for the help. Your brain felt like it was on the brink of exploding with information. Your life had changed so much in a single day and you couldn't quite comprehend it.

After Natasha left, you collapsed on your bed, happily sinking into the soft plush mattress. You had never felt so comfortable in your life, so comfortable in fact you fell asleep on top of the covers without even changing.

A/N ~
Hello guys! Chapter 3 down! Sorry if it wasn't very good, this was mainly a filler. Thank you so so much to everyone who has voted on this book so far, it means a lot to me and I really appreciate it! Please be sure to vote and comment if you enjoyed and have a spectacular day!