twenty-one

Bucky POV~
"There's no one here," I said, raking a hand through my hair.

"That's strange, I got the distress call from this exact area," Tony replied.

This was a mistake. We shouldn't of brought the whole team here and we shouldn't of left Y/N at home. "We have to get back."

"Ten more minutes."

I scoffed, standing back as we waited even longer for something to happen. Tony had gotten the call almost half an hour ago and at the moment it was a false alarm. Something felt off, and it was still unsettling that Y/N was alone. Yes, she wanted to be treated as more independent but we should've at least let her know where we were. But of course Tony said the call was too urgent to leave any notes of some sort, and that the mission was too much for Y/N to handle at the moment.

Relief washed over me when Tony finally gave up and told us to go back to the quinjet. As soon as I laid eyes on Y/N I'd feel better.

I was the first person to enter the tower as I immediately ran towards her room. Fear started to rise as I found her room empty, the blankets bunched up at the end of her bed. I knew she was probably just somewhere else in the tower, but something felt strange.

I checked the kitchen, the gym, the lab and even the roof but still no sign of Y/N. I was definitely panicking now. I was going to punch Tony's fucking face in.

"Y/N's gone." I stormed into the kitchen, slumping down on one of the chairs. This was all my fault. I should've stayed behind.

"What do you mean she's gone?"

"What?"

Steve and Nat spoke simultaneously as Tony walked in.

"What's up guys?"

"Y/N's missing," I spat, running a hand over my face. He frowned.

"Are you sure she's not just sleeping or some-"

"No! She's gone and I don't know where she went."

Tony sighed, before turning and leaving the room.

"Where the fuck are you going right now?"

"To check the security cameras, there might be some footage there."

"I'm coming too."

"Be my guest."

Nat, Steve and I followed Tony out of the kitchen. He asked FRIDAY to pull up the security footage.

Y/N's blurry figure walked out of her room. She entered every level of the tower, looking for us I assume, before moving up towards the roof. As the elevator doors opened, the footage suddenly cut out, the screen turning black and fuzzy.

I pointed to the screen. "Where's the rest of the footage?"

Tony pressed a few buttons, his eyebrows scrunched in focus. "The footage cut out there, from all rooftop cameras. That's impossible, the cameras up there never cut out."

My heart sunk as I realised the reality. "Hydra. Hydra took her. Hydra fucking took her. It's all my fault." I sunk to my knees as Steve came over and placed a hand on my shoulder, but everything felt numb.

It should've been me. The only person who truly understood me better than anybody else was gone. Missing. I knew what sort of horrible shit they put people through there, and the fact she had powers now made it worse. The mere thought of her being hurt and tortured made me feel awful.

I stood quickly, brushing Steve's hand away. "I have to go find her."

"No, we don't want you getting captured too. I love her like a sister, just like I love Wanda, and I want her back but I need you to be fully focused and trust the other members of your team in order to rescue her successfully," Nat spoke solemnly, placing a hand on my arm gently. I frowned, but knew she was right.

"I agree. Nat, we should go tell the others, we'll need backup and we need to find exactly where Hydra may be keeping her," Tony said and Nat followed him out of the room.

I clenched my jaw as I leant back against the wall. How could I have been so stupid to let this happen?

"I know you love her, Buck. We'll get her back." I looked up at Steve. I hadn't admitted it out loud, but he was right.

"More than I've loved anyone in my entire life. She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't deserve me. She deserves the best, and after I let this happen, I am far from it."

"Don't say that. It wasn't your fault. We all thought the tower would be more than safe."

"She's probably, no, definitely being tortured right now. Hydra show no mercy, and she's already been through enough of their shit. The fact that she's got powers now will make it even worse."

"You've got to keep a clear mind. You can't rescue her if you don't have the right state of mind. Right now we have to focus on finding her location."

I nodded quickly, knowing he was right even though I wanted to get to her as quickly as possible.

"Let's go see how Tony and Natasha are doing."