eight

(time skip like two weeks) Y/N POV~
"I don't understand this..." You were currently curled up on the couch with Wanda and Natasha, watching Cinderella. "If the shoe was such a perfect fit for her, than why did it fall off? And how come no one else in the whole town has the same sized foot as her?"
Natasha laughed. "You're overthinking this entire thing. The point is the prince is doing something romantic for the girl of his dreams."
"A girl that he met at a dance for half a night. Fairytales can be so stupid sometimes," you deadpanned.
"Suit yourself, I'd love for that to happen to me," Nat sighed and Wanda laughed.
"Don't worry, we've all noticed the little thing happening between you and Bruce. Your luckier than some." Natasha responded by throwing popcorn at Wanda.
You half yawn, half laugh, leaning back against the couch.
Wanda looks at you. "You alright Y/N? You've seemed really out of it the past few days."

You shrugged. The real reason for your tiredness was the fact that you'd had nightmares every night, and somehow it had ended in a 3am sparring session with Bucky in the gym. You two had become good friends, and you had definitely improved in your sparring. It was comforting to let out your anger every night.

"It's just exhausting getting used to the whole freedom thing, I guess." You didn't really want Wanda and Nat knowing about what you spent each night doing, because you knew exactly what they would think about the situation. "But, speaking of which, I think I'm going to get some sleep, and wonder how such a famous movie could have so many ridiculous plot holes." They both laughed, waving their goodnights as you head towards your bed.

You changed into your pyjamas, nestling down into the covers. In truth, no matter how tired you were, you were still scared to close your eyes. Images of Hydra wouldn't stop flashing before your eyes, and every noise made you think that they were back to get you.

Every night however, exhaustion got the best of you, forcing your eyelids to droop and you to fall into a nightmare-filled sleep. You were just grateful you hadn't screamed yet, because the last thing you wanted was everyone to hear and continue walking on eggshells around you.

Thankfully, you had earned the friendship of most of the Avengers. Steve had never failed to show you kindness, and for that you were grateful. You spent most of your time with Wanda and Nat, who got you up to date on everything, truly everything. Even Clint, who still acted kind of cold towards you, had offered the last of the cereal the other day. Soon enough, you were going to fit in here, even if you didn't know how long you'd be staying.

Just like every other night, you woke up, shaking and sweating. And just like every other night, you instinctively left your room and made your way to the gym.

"I'm starting to become convinced you don't ever sleep," Bucky greeted you as you entered the gym.
You smiled. "I could say the same about you."
He laughed, standing and walking over to the empty space on the mat. You knew what to do, excited to try out a new trick you learnt.

Balancing your weight, you step forward, holding your fists out in front of you. He threw the first punch, aiming it towards your stomach, but you saw this coming. Grabbing the wrist of his normal arm, you slide onto the ground, forcing his weight to be thrown off balance. He was stronger than you however, and managed to stay upright. Kneeling on the ground, you aim for his leg, managing to deliver a kick that then caused him to lose his balance completely, landing him on the ground.

Standing back up, you ready yourself for the next round, but stop when you notice him wince as he goes to stand up.
You frowned. "What's wrong?"
He stands, dusting himself off. "What do you mean?" You notice him slightly cradle his metal arm against his stomach.
"You're hurt. Is it my fault?"
He laughs. "I'm not hurt, and it's not your fault. You may have fought well, but that doesn't mean you caused any harm, besides the irreversible damage to my ego."
The corner of your mouth tilts up slightly, but you forced yourself not to laugh at his joke. "I'm serious Bucky, what's wrong." You touch his arm slightly, but he winces. You quickly draw your hand back. "Your metal arm. Is it damaged?" Grimacing, he slowly rolled up the sleeve of his shirt to reveal exposed wire poking out from where the metal met his skin.
"The wires are fraying. Let me fix it, or it'll continue to hurt." Bucky looked up at you.
"You know how to fix this?"
You nodded, smiling. "Let me go get some equipment first."

You went to collect various equipment from the warehouse downstairs as quickly as you could.
Running back up to the gym you quickly set your stuff next to Bucky.
"Here we go, let me take a closer look," you said, and nodding, he slowly lifts his shirt off, leaving it hanging around his neck. Avoiding looking at his abs, or his eyes, you focused on the shoulder, gently fixing the wires and tucking them back inside his metal arm. He pulled his shirt back down and slowly moved his arm, smiling.
"There shouldn't be as much tension now," You said, sitting next to him.
He shook his head. "No, there isn't, thank you. Where on earth did you learn to do that?"
"I think my dad was a mechanic, though I'm not sure. Hydra used me as a technician as well."
He frowned, he knew you were still touchy about the topic of Hydra. "I'm sorry."
"Don't be, I'm happy I can use these skills for good now."
He stood, reaching out his hand. "Wanna fight again?"
You yawn, and shake your head. "I'm more tired than I thought, I might just watch you if that's okay."
Bucky nodded. "Sure."