twenty-three

A/N: same warning as last chapter lol. also, update!

Bucky POV~

"How much further?"

"Like I said when you asked twenty seconds ago, not far. The signal is traced to the middle of nowhere, and there aren't any major structures in this area," Bruce replied, pushing his glasses further up the bridge of his nose in frustration. I sighed, running a hand through my hair. It had been too long since I had been with Y/N last. And just imagining what was potentially, no, almost definitely happening to her made my stomach churn and my chest feel tight. The only thing my mind was focused on was her safety, and whether or not we could get there before she-

No, I had to stop thinking like that. I had to stay strong and stop imagining the worst. A clear head was always best for any mission.

"Hydra bases are often underground, you know. She could be right under our noses!" My attempt at calm failed as my voice rose again. 

"I know that, and I'm currently scanning for possible entrances," Bruce replied impatiently. I didn't mean to be so rude, but my mind was focused on one thing and one thing only. The safety of the person I loved.

Steve clapped a hand on my shoulder. "It'll be okay Buck. She's strong, as we've all surely learnt by now, and she has experience with Hydra. She knows what to do to protect herself as much as she can. We just have to stay calm and let Bruce do his thing, alright?"

I nodded, swallowing and clenching my jaw.

Y/N POV~

Agony.

That was the only word to describe it.

Pure and unmerciful agony.

Your steady flow in and out of consciousness made it basically impossible to tell what time of day it was, what day it was, and how long you had truly been in there for. Every day came with some sort of new unfamiliar form of torture, something you had become familiar with ever since you had been brought 'downstairs'.

Fortunately, your brain had become used to the excruciating pain that came along with the awful chemical in those awful syringes, resulting in less consistent bursts of power. Something which, as proven by the forming scars on your arms, had angered Hydra.

You weren't sure how much more of this you could take, but you were sure of one thing. You weren't going to willingly let Hydra use your powers. You weren't going to give them that kind of advantage. The pain, and even death seemed like much better options than that.

You thought back to Bucky, and how you wished you got to spend more time with him before... all of this. It often brought you back to your senses, imagining what the Avengers, your close friends, were doing now. You imagined Nat kicking Steve's ass during training. You imagined Thor getting adorably angry when he found someone had stolen his poptarts. You imagined Wanda and her toaster snuggling up together to watch movies at night time. 

And you imagined Bucky, his adorable smile that literally lit up your entire world. The nights you would spend training, drinking milk after nightmares, snuggling up in bed together. You would give absolutely anything to be back there again, in his arms. There had been countless times when you had wished it was all just one horrible realistic nightmare that you could wake up from at any minute,

But you knew that wasn't true.

Bucky POV~

"Over here!" 

I frantically ran over to Nat as she dragged a rock away from the ground to reveal a hatch.